• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail authentication for local domains

A

alexhubner

Ok, this is something I still looking for a good response, so I'll try one more time here.

Plesk 7.5.4 allow anyone to send emails to local domains without authenticate or providing credentials. It doesn't matter what authentication method you choose under "Mail" settings (POP before SMTP or SMTP Auth), you will always be permited to send messages to local domains using a Plesk host and without providing proper authentication/credentials.

No authentication, nothing. You can simple configure your e-mail client (or spam script) to send messages to local domains using the host's SMTP server, bypassing SPF checks and delivering spam and virus as a legitimate domain user. That's very bad.

Discussion (with no real response so far) can be found here: http://forums.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?t=62149

People say this behaviour is necessary otherwise mail sent from to the domain will not be delivered. That's not true since the majority of SMTP servers I've know do not allow you to send messages without proper authentication, even if the destination is a local domain.

I wonder how people can sleep with this. I can't, and I'm seriously considering moving away from Plesk and this "non understandable" security flaw.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Back