• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail dropping rejected local mail

ArnonW

New Pleskian
Mail server dropping rejected local mail with no NDR

I see quite a few posts about stopping bouncebacks, but I seem to have the opposite problem: No bouncebacks.

The mail server is set to Reject mail to non-existent addresses.

When I send mail from external host to a non-existent local address [email protected], it's rejected, and I get a bounceback as desired.
When I send mail from local host to a non-existent external address [email protected], it's rejected, and I get a bounceback (showing that the externaldomain.com mail server is rejecting mail as well).

However, following an upgrade from 9.5.2 => 9.5.4, the following scenario no longer works:

When I send mail from local host to a non-existent local address [email protected], it's simply dropped, and I do not get a failure notice (NDR) or bounceback. This is the case when using webmail, or if I set up a forward from [email protected] => [email protected] - no bounceback.

The maillog shows the following as the last reference to the dropped delivery:
Feb 28 13:52:55 hosting1 qmail: 1330455175.731007 starting delivery 8068: msg 173704052 to local [email protected]
and nothing more, the message vanishes into thin air.

Update:

Now using Postfix instead of Qmail, the result is the same, but the log shows:
Mar 1 21:38:14 hosting1 postfix-local[4052]: cannot chdir to mailname dir doesntexist: No such file or directory
Mar 1 21:38:14 hosting1 postfix/pipe[3781]: 765C2A3381CD: to=<[email protected]>, relay=plesk_virtual, delay=0.06, delays=0.05/0/0/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via plesk_virtual service)

I found this posting: http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Using-VERP-on-Postfix-server-p29634002.html

For some reason the "plesk_virtual" handler is reporting "status=sent" (success) on a failed delivery. Why does it do this? How can it be configured to return a failure status?
Does anyone have any idea how to get the Reject feature to work correctly and provide a NDR on failure?

Last edited:
Back