• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Qmail dropping rejected local mail

ArnonW

New Pleskian
Mail server dropping rejected local mail with no NDR

I see quite a few posts about stopping bouncebacks, but I seem to have the opposite problem: No bouncebacks.

The mail server is set to Reject mail to non-existent addresses.

When I send mail from external host to a non-existent local address [email protected], it's rejected, and I get a bounceback as desired.
When I send mail from local host to a non-existent external address [email protected], it's rejected, and I get a bounceback (showing that the externaldomain.com mail server is rejecting mail as well).

However, following an upgrade from 9.5.2 => 9.5.4, the following scenario no longer works:

When I send mail from local host to a non-existent local address [email protected], it's simply dropped, and I do not get a failure notice (NDR) or bounceback. This is the case when using webmail, or if I set up a forward from [email protected] => [email protected] - no bounceback.

The maillog shows the following as the last reference to the dropped delivery:
Feb 28 13:52:55 hosting1 qmail: 1330455175.731007 starting delivery 8068: msg 173704052 to local [email protected]
and nothing more, the message vanishes into thin air.

Update:

Now using Postfix instead of Qmail, the result is the same, but the log shows:
Mar 1 21:38:14 hosting1 postfix-local[4052]: cannot chdir to mailname dir doesntexist: No such file or directory
Mar 1 21:38:14 hosting1 postfix/pipe[3781]: 765C2A3381CD: to=<[email protected]>, relay=plesk_virtual, delay=0.06, delays=0.05/0/0/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via plesk_virtual service)

I found this posting: http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Using-VERP-on-Postfix-server-p29634002.html

For some reason the "plesk_virtual" handler is reporting "status=sent" (success) on a failed delivery. Why does it do this? How can it be configured to return a failure status?
Does anyone have any idea how to get the Reject feature to work correctly and provide a NDR on failure?

Last edited:
Back