• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail not working

Luisgon

New Pleskian
Hi,

Just got a strange problem on my plesk server. (11.0.9)

Qmail isn't working...
In Home>Tools & Settings>Services management SMTP "Server (QMail)" is stoppped.
When I try to start it, it say "Information: Please allow for some time for the service to start." but never starts...

in command line i try to restart it with "service qmail restart" and it says "OK"
also if i run "service qmail status" it says "qmail-send (pid 2880) is running..."

but, it really doest work... queue is getting bigger and smtp isnt responding...!

I'm getting crazy, please help.

Thanks
Luís

Dear Luisgon,

did you checked all logs for it? Maybe you are currently grey- or blacklisted?
Do you have checked your firewall?

Hi Henning,

Yes, maybe it is, because i had a spam attack (password email account compromissed).
I stopped qmail, found the compromised account, cleared queue with qmail-remove and finally started the qmail again and that's when I got that problem.

I didn't know that qmail stop working if i'm blacklisted...
Blacklisted where? How can I check that? What should I look for?

Thanks

Hi Luisgon,

you can simply get a check for free at http://www.mxtoolbox.com. If you are blacklisted, be sure, that your system is clean before requesting unblocked.
It doesn't stop, but mails that are declined from the recipients mail server will stay in queue for approx 7 days ... So the queue is filling up.

Henning,

I think I didn't explain hell.

Ok, I know the blacklist problem that can block emails, but that's not the problem. (for now we are not at any blacklist)

The problem is that smtp stop responding and clients cannot send emails.
When I check "service qmail status" it says "qmail-send (pid 2880) is running..." but in plesk panel at Home>Tools & Settings>Services management SMTP "Server (QMail)" is stoppped.

If I restart qmail (service qmail restart) it says "OK", but the problem remains.

It stays like that a couple of hours and then start do work again... a couple of hours later stops... and continues... It's very strange.

Back