• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail Problems

N

Nikos Ioakeim

Hello to all!
i am having a spam fight problem with qmail running on CentOS 5.4 and Plesk 9.3. Recently i discovered that the custom qmail installation of plesk accepts mail from any source without even checking if the domain of the sender exists although qmail standard installation has this functionality as a additional patch (mfcheck).

Recently i also discovered that my server is included in the backscatter black list which i didn't even knew it's existence and now i am horrified.

Is there anyone here that could help me control this two issues? I tried following parallels guide to build my own custom qmail but the building process keeps failing and i am not sure if i am on the right path.

Thanks in advance

Hello IgorG,
first of all thank you for your quick response!, yes this is the parallels guide i used to compile, but i used the plesk 9.2 patches for compilation since no 9.3 patches are available and netqmail 1.06 with no luck saying

./chkspawn
Oops. Your system's FD_SET() has a hidden limit of 1024 descriptors.
This means that the qmail daemons could crash if you set the run-time
concurrency higher than 509. So I'm going to insist that the concurrency
limit in conf-spawn be at most 509. Right now it's 1000.
make: *** [spawn.o] Error 1

The thing is that i want to compile my qmail with as many patches as possible in order to have my options to configure for spam, and plesk qmail has only a few. My compilation failed only with parallels patches. Imagine what i will have to do if i start patching with others...

Isn't there a more comprehensive guide to add this common features in plesk?

Thanks in advance

Developers have informed me that you can use patches for any 9.x versions for your 9.3 version. There is no any differences. Regarding FD_SETSIZE (1024) problem look at following KB article for example - http://kb.odin.com/en/260

I am really sorry but i dont understand. The error message of the compilation says that i need to decrease the number of FD_SET because qmail daemons may crash. The article you sent me says that i need to increase them.

My Plesk node says that:
# /sbin/sysctl fs.file-max
fs.file-max = 262144

The virtuozzo hardware node that plesk is running into says the same:
# /sbin/sysctl fs.file-max
fs.file-max = 262144

If you get an error while running "make" that says: "Oops. Your system's FD_SET() has a hidden limit of 1024 descriptors. This means that the qmail daemons could crash if you set the run-time concurrency higher than 509. So I'm going to insist that the concurrency limit in conf-spawn be at most 509. Right now it's 1000." - edit the file conf-spawn in your qmail directory and change the concurrency limit from 1000 to 509. Save and run make again.

Back