• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail queue owner:group problems

G

graynotgrey

I made a stupid mistake the other day with a shell script that recursively changed the owners and groups of files in multiple directories. I was using relative paths and going in and out of directories. There was an error in the script (I did not account for a files) and eventually I ended up changing the owner and groups of all of the files on the file system. It broke su, plesk, qmail and many other programs. I changed everything to root:root and then ran the following script to restore all of the original owners and groups;
for RPM in `rpm -qa`;do rpm --setugids $RPM;done. I also ran the same script with the --setperms, because some permissions may have been changed as well.

I then had to manually correct some other owners and groups from scripts I installed manually. Almost everything is working correctly except qmail. Messages from the system or php forms get into qmail/queue/mess but the following error appears in maillog:

deferral: Sorry,_message_has_wrong_owner._(#4.3.5)/

The files in the queue should be owned by qmailq:qmails, but some are owned by root:apache and some by root:nofiles. If I manually change the owner and groups of the messages will be sent out of the queue successfully. (I actually use qfixq)

I've read through a lot of qmail documentation and forums but I cannot determine how exactly the messages get into the queue and what should change the owner and group to qmailg:qmails but isn't because the ownshipr or permissions are incorrect.

I think it has something to do with how Plesk interacts or configures Qmail and the qmail-queue binary files. Here is what I have for owners and permissions now for those files;

ls -alF qmail-queue*
-rws--x--x 1 qmailq qmail 23408 Aug 30 19:22 qmail-queue*
-rws--x--x 1 root root 16012 Mar 27 10:16 qmail-queue.moved*
-r-xr-x--- 1 root qmail 23408 Aug 7 08:24 qmail-queue.plesk*

Does anyone have any insight? Thanks.

Back