• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail Sucks!

N

nveid

Will you guys ever switch to something more normal, that most people out there know how to use? And is proven much more reliable, I've been using plesk for about 6 or 7 months now and I swear about 80% of my problems have had to do with qmail. It breaks, it sucks, and it needs to go. When on the other hand, I used postfix for about 4 or 5 years, only times I ever had problems with that is when I was making some drastic changes in how it was relaying **** by making obscure changes to the configure files.. I do not have to even /touch qmail/ and it decides to break. Get rid of that god forsaken package and goto something much more reliable like postfix.
Thank you, That is all

Hmm... maybe I'm guessing - but... could the fact that you have problems be related to the fact that you just dosen't know QMail?

I've been using QMail for quite some years now - and I have to say - that I've really not have had any big problems.

And yes, if we argue about changing MTA in Plesk 'cause lack of new features I would also like to see some active changes - but to change Qmail just because some guys don't think its reliable is not how it should work.

QMail _IS_ proven technology and is reliable and hopefully the use of QMail enables SW-Soft to still provide good support when/if trouble arise.

I can't recognize your description about qmail breaking easily. It just runs and runs here.

tell me the way to add greylisting in qmail (qmail should work with plesk8 after, too).

And some hints about adding SA to qmail whould be great, too. (without the plesk-sa-module)

With postfix/exim both are 5-minutes-tasks.

Search around this forum and you'll find plenty of hints on how to do it!

Buy 4PSA Spam Guardian or 4PSA Clean Server etc. - they do it.

Knowing your qmail is the first way to do this things - Sw-Soft provides the patches needed to compile your own QMail so this can also be done.

ART is your friend.. www.atomicrocketturtle.com -- get his yum archives for your OS. Then it's as simple as..

yum install qmail-scanner spamassassin

to install Spamassassin. And...

yum install qgreylist
/bin/service xinetd restart

to install Greylisting that does work with Plesk.

Now, you may wanna read up on some of the work that Scott over at ART has done before installing the qgreylist, as he's got a few comments on it. As for SpamAssassin, it currently runs on 3 boxes I have w/the ART install of qmail-scanner, as well as ClamAV (yum install clamd).

The easy way, if you want all of these, would be to do one massive install at once.. I.e..

yum install qmail-scanner spamassassin clamd qgreylist

Just make sure you've got the yum archives from ART's site listed, so it can get the appropriate information.

I see a lot of this, Know qmail, etc... The simple fact is, it's backwards and Dan Bernstein has a bug up his butt to be quite frank about it.

DJB's disregard to Guninski's claim on the $500 guarantee was clearly just pride, DJB should put his money where his mouth is and honor his guarantee.

I'm not saying DJB doesn't do good work, qmail was definitely a good piece of software back in 1998, some would say ahead of it's time. But what I typically see from qmail folks, and I mean no disrespect, is RTFM, etc...

OTOH, the Postfix community is far more active, has more friendly support and just plain makes sense. I'm not a hacker god by any stretch of the imagination, but I would say I know my way around Linux very well. I've made my own obscure patches to programs, fixed bad code and have done a fair amount of work on MTAs in my life.

The simple fact is, it shouldn't be this hard. Documentation for qmail is very obtuse and if anyone suggests something that hasn't been done for the past 8 years they are told to "learn qmail" it seems like a religious cult sometimes. :) Again, I'm not trying to start a qmail vs postfix war here, I'm just trying to illustrate what this looks like to qmail outsiders.

I've dealt with qmail for two years now and it still drives me nuts. Logging is strange and incomplete ([email protected] what's that about?). I always see talk about "use this patch, use that patch" if everyone is using it, why isn't it part of the main tree?

Again, a lot of this is just pure frustration on the simple fact is I bought Plesk to take these problems away from me. Having to be this deep in a product kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing it in the first place. I like just about everything else in the Plesk array, I just wish they'd either make qmail a bit more easy to work with, or give users an option. Postfix is flexible enough that it should be a simple drop in replacement. I've toyed with this idea for a while and I'm crazy enough now that I just might do it.

I want to re-iterate that I mean no disrespect to the qmail users or the community, it's definitely a group of people who love their product and it works well for them. But it's not one-size-fits-all, unless you have a big enough hammer. :)

Qmail Antispam

hi,

i also would like to know how to convert the following postfix-antispam-stuff to qmail:

Code:
smtpd_helo_required=yes
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
        reject_unauth_pipelining,
        permit
reject_invalid_hostname=yes
strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
html_directory = no

smtpd_soft_error_limit = 2
smtpd_hard_error_limit = 10
smtpd_error_sleep_time = 20s

header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
mime_header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/mime_header_checks

at the moment i have postfix and qmail running on the same machine because back then there wasn't an archive from ARTs qmail stuff for x86_64 and suse 9.3 and it won't compile for some reason. direct postfix-support is definitly missing in plesk.

buddaaa:

As far as postfix support missing from Plesk, I'm getting pretty close to getting it to work with Plesk. It's so nice to see meaningful logs again (I know I chickened out on the qmail patch for logging).

This weekend I got postfix to accept mail from poplock users and also got it working with saslauthd for SMTP auth. TLS and SSL are also working so it's very promising. I'm using the Plesk database for all of the information so keeping it in sync with the GUI will be a breeze.

My next challenge will be accepting and delivering mail for users, I'm working on that this week. Then I'm going to tackle the mailing list and auto-responder issues, I think that might be the hardest since I want to keep compatibility with everything else.

Trust me, the Postfix in front of qmail solution is way easier to manager, especially if you've used postfix for a week or two :).

-Bill

Ah, yeah... You can actually pull the relay domains out of SQL using postfix-mysql, I think it's a bit cleaner that way, but the perl script / cron job works too.

-Bill

however we dont have any problems with qmail , i do agree on postfix, qmail is very old and missing new features there are tons of patches needed to be aplied to have new functionalities. and this is a pain in the ***

Back