• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail woes after restore

U

unixguy

I recently had a hard drive failure and was forced to restore from backups.

After the restore local mail delivery is not working correctly.

The local mail queue will grow. After some time I will run

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mchk --with-spam

Then I will run a Flush queue

/usr/local/qmHandle/qmHandle -a

And all the messages will go.

The queue will operate and deliver normally for a time - but eventually something will get caught and the entire queue will stop processing.

There are no errors in /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog that tell me what message(s) are causing the problem.

Running qmHandle -a on its own is not enough
Running mchk --with-spam on its own is not enough. I must run both.

Can anyone tell me where I should look?

It is my understanding that mchk will repair/rebuild all Qmail configuration files and restore settings for all mailboxes. So what is it that is coming along and wrecking my qmail configs?

For the moment I've added a crontab to run mchk and qmHandle -a every 15 minutes -- but this is not a long term solution.

Many thanks,

Troy

I restored the psa databases, the websites and the /var/qmail directory hierarchy - no problems.

All the user accounts and passwords are fine.

Mail sent externally works fine.

Hello,

Check the maillog and see if what the concurrencyremote and concurrencylocal shows.

Increase those values and see if there are changes.

bad odeivar

I finally determined that there was a crontab entry running at 10 past the hour called insert_odeivar

Apparently I had a faulty version of odeivar and this was causing mail to hang. When I would run mchk it would remove the odeivar filter and things would work until the cronjob ran again.

odeivar is related to my virus filtering.

Thanks blank_page for your help!

Back