• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Query on iP address, use two different ips for DNS

Tize

Basic Pleskian
Hello good day.
I currently have a server that works with a single iP 1 address.
In this iP address I have two DNS.

dns1.tize - iP -199.199.199.199
dns2.tize - iP -199.199.199.199

And both DNSs work with the same iP address.

I've read that it's always better to have two iPs in different DNS.
I have looked inside Plesk and I have disabled the iP4 or iP6 I can not remember the name.

My consultation is please. If I activate the iP4 address which is only letters and numbers could I use as the second DNS?
For example for dns2.tize?

Thank you very much, I hope you understand my query.

Greetings.

Captura de pantalla 2017-09-11 a las 10.13.07.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-09-11 a las 10.01.19.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-09-11 a las 10.02.02.png

you enabled ipv4, and it's good.
you can have two NS records that point to same server ip with differrent names
by security, (to keep bind servers/DNS servers responding in case of failure) the standard safe rule is to use 2 differents servers to serve your DNS record,

BUT, you can use the same server IP. it will be functionnal, but not 100% safe (case of server failure)

your configuration,
dns1.tize - iP -199.199.199.199
dns2.tize - iP -199.199.199.199
will work..

don't forget to write your dns info in your domain registar dns zone.

Hello christian, thank you very much for your message.
I have been using iP address for 2 DNS for many years.

I'm going to try tonight which is when there are few visits on the web pages and tomorrow I hope everything is fine.
I'll also ask my hoster hetzner if they can sell me another iP to have two better.

Thank you very much for your message and for your help.
Receives a warm greeting.

Hi, thanks for your message and for your help.
First I activated the iP6 server but without success.
And secondly I've asked my Hoster for a new iP address.
They gave it to me and I assigned it to the server.

It is true that I now have two iP addresses and the two for the same server only for DNS.

However, to do what you say.
Is it necessary to hire another server to be able to do it as you say?
I have seen that there are many webs that have even several dns with different places but do not know very well how they do that.

Thank you very much.

The reason for having a different IP for each nameserver is to provide redundancy: so if one is not available the other one may still be.

But if both IPs are on the same server, then whatever affects the first one will probably also affect the second one.

To get good redundancy you need two separate servers. Obviously that's additional expense, and effort. Only you can decide whether that is necessary.

If the nameservers and webserver are on the same server there's little point in having separate IPs: if that first IP is down the webserver will be unavailable anyway.

Now I understand perfectly.
Thank you very much for the clarification. I did not know I had to have another server but I understand what you explain.
Well now I already paid a full year of a new iP address to have the second DNS that really does not serve anything.
Thanks for your time.

Back