• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question about Horde

J

jpoole

I'm new to Plesk, and I'm not exactly the best at Linux, but I'll explain what I'm trying to do.

Currently, we have a running email server with CentOS 5, and Plesk 8.4 -- we were wanting to try and change the Horde login screen and possibly a complete new template in the future; however, before making those change on the 'in production' server, we decided to create a test machine with the exact same settings to make sure we know what we're doing.

Okay so, I loaded CentOS and installed Plesk 8.4 (after some initial dependency problems) and can now access the Plesk Control Panel from a browser. So far, I have been unsuccessful in getting the webmail to pull up. 'Server not found' etc.

I've got some ideas of what the problem could be, but I don't know which path to, or even how I would go about addressing the issues.

#1) Are there additional steps required to install or configure Horde for webmail? I just used the auto-installer from the terminal command line and let it do all the work, and other than logging in to the control panel and making some generic settings (creating a client/domain/email address), have not changed anything else.

#2) Obviously, this is a computer just on a local network. I notice that when you try and pull up a specific user's webmail, it attempts to bring up webmail.domainname. So there is no way that DNS is going to resolve it to the right location, since none of that has been set up. Is there anyway I can just browse to the machine's IP address and use the specific port that Horde uses (similar to how you log in to the control panel at https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443)?

#3 I'm totally off and have no idea what I'm doing? Save me.

Help appreciated in advance.

Hello jpoole,
the problem with 'Server not found' most probably caused by problems with name resolution. Since the server is in local network and domain names on the server are not in global DNS, you need to explicitly map ip-hostname pairs in your local /etc/hosts file (or on windows it is c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts).

Good luck.

Thanks ib1984.
Doing what you suggested allowed me to map the local IP to the DNS name that webmail was searching for and voila!--I'm taken to the Horde login screen.

However, I have a new problem now. I created a sample user but cannot login to his inbox. I am able to login to his specific control panel from https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443 with the same login credentials. Did I forget something?

Back