• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Question How to allow custom iptables rules in Plesk Obsidian?

danimora

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 (Core)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.52 Update #3
I need to make a custop iptables rule persistent so that I can enable our docker containers to access Internet.

This is the rule:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 172.17.0.0/16 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

But this rule is lost everytime I make a change using the Plesk Firewall GUI.

How can I make this rule persistent? I've seen post talking about iptables-persistent but that might not apply to Obsidian.

What is the right way to add custom rules?

Sorry, you're right. I completely missed those rule settings in your OP. Interesting conundrum ... I don't have any suggestions at moment on how to go about this. Maybe someone else has a suggestion ..

Does this page help?

Thank you for the suggestion. This technique looks cool but I'm afraid that if I persist the iptables rules and restore them this would certainly overwrite the iptables rules generated by Plesk.

The Plesk firewall creates a .sh file that rewrites all the iptables config each time it is applied (/usr/local/psa/var/modules/firewall/firewall-active.sh)

My suggestion is to copy the current rules generated by Plesk then turn off/disable the Plesk firewall, then manually apply the rules with your custom rules following the instructions provided by Peter. This does mean that you will not be able to use the Plesk firewall extension but you will have greater control over the firewall.

My suggestion is to copy the current rules generated by Plesk then turn off/disable the Plesk firewall, then manually apply the rules with your custom rules following the instructions provided by Peter. This does mean that you will not be able to use the Plesk firewall extension but you will have greater control over the firewall.

Yes, I finally realized that it cannot be done if the Plesk Firewall is enabled. The way you suggest the best one. However I ended up doing it with a cron script because I like to keep all my Plesk servers with a the same manegement procedures.

Thanks!

Back