• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Questions about Migration

R

RetoV

Hello

At the moment we are running an outdated Plesk Panel installation (Version 8.3) on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. In the near future we would like to migrate the hosted websites (arround 70 domains) onto a completely new server installation. Actually we don't know yet whether we will install Plesk on Linux again or on a Windows machine.
To plan our migration we have several questions about the migration process.

Our questions:
- Do we need a second Plesk Panel license while we the websites are beeing migrated?
- Is it possible to use the currently used Unix license key on a new Windows installation?
- Would it be possible to migrate with the on-board Migration Tool from our 8.3 Unix Version to 9.5 Windows Version, or are any intermediate steps necessary? I think the migration from Unix 8.3 to Unix 9.5 is possible with the migration tool, isn't it?
- Are there any functional restrictions between the Unix and Windows Plesk Panel Version? e.g. the usage of MySQL on Windows.

Thanks in advance for your help and explanations.

Best Regards
Reto

You can't use a Linux key for Windows, and vice versa.

You may be able to use the key on two Linux boxes temporarily, but it would be better to ask your reseller (or Parallels) for a temporary key for use on the new box during the migration.

If you intend to go to Plesk 10.x, you can get an automatically issued, fully functioning key, that works for 7 or 14 days or something like that-- I forget the exact duration. You'll see how to get one issued when you download Plesk 10.x.

I don't honestly know what issues you might encounter with a Linux to Windows migration and if it is even possible. I've never used the Windows version of Plesk so I can't comment, I'm afraid.

Back