• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Questions before purchase

FYI

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Rocky Linux 8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian
Hey guys,

i have some questions before i purchase. I would like to get the answers before i start deploying.

1. When using plesk, i want to setup 2 nameservers that work just as nameservers. Did i understand it correct, that i can use the Extension "Slave DNS Manager" to install 2 servers just with bind and connect them to plesk and use them as authoritive primary and secondary nameservers then? And still have the possibility to manage the dns zones from control panel (as hoster, reseller and customer)
  2. Has anybody already some knowledge about monitoring a setup like this with checkmk?
  3. What are the most supported OS besides CloudLinux?
  4. How would u recommend partitioning? (i know the support thread about that and i think thats not really a good recommendation. I would like to know best-use-cases of projects which hosting hundreds of websites.
  5. I want to backup to a hetzner storage box. Is that something that is supported? Like daily backups to the storage box and what about restoring from there?
  6. Does Plesk support to add webspace as webdisk?
  7. Does Plesk only supports MariaDB or is there a way to use MySQL 8?
  8. Does Plesk support DKIM, SPF and DMARC to setup by default for every added domain?
  9. What is a good free firewall system to use with plesk?
  10. Is it possible to use different php versions within a webspace? Or only one php version per webspace? Or only one php version per system?

If the answers meet my expectations, I plan to use Plesk for a larger hosting project. Thank you in advance for your help in answering my questions.

Best regards

1) Yes.
3) One of the best choices is Alma Linux 9. If you prefer the Debian line, then Ubuntu is used by many. Plesk however provides support for all OS mentioned in the system software requirements.
4) Noone will be able to answer that question correctly, because it entirely depends on the usage scenario, e.g. how much disk space websites need, how your backups are being done, how much other stuff you have on the server, ...
5) Yes.
6) No.
7) Please see Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian for more on this and the operating system question. However, I strongly recommend MariaDB.
8) These are supported, but DKIM must be checked (in a checkbox) and cannot be auto-activated through a service plan. However, there are already feature requests to add this as a template to service plans.
9) The built-in features are totally sufficient. Just use what the operating system comes with and what Plesk offers. There are posts here and elsewhere that suggest, additional tweaks should be done, but that is really not necessary.
10) Per domain not only a different PHP version can be used, but also a different handler (e.g. FPM, CGI, via Apache, via Nginx)

Alright, so just point 6 actually isnt given. Thats the one point that is less important for me.

So actually just these question are open:
  1. Has anybody already some knowledge about monitoring a setup like this with checkmk?
But u already got me to get plesk for my business idea. Thank you @Peter Debik

Ouh - i got another questions. When i have multiple Plesk servers - can they all use ns1 and ns2 as DNS server?

Yes, but the same domain cannot be managed at the same time by different servers. But that is the same all over the Internet.

Yeah thats not want i want :D I just mean if i have multiple plesk servers cause i plan to maximal manage 100 customers per server.

It'll work. I suggest starting of with one, getting acquainted with the user surface. It'll probably be quick learning. Then take it from there and add the next. I'd also suggest to look into the "Plesk 360" offer, because this can give you a good way to monitor all off your Plesk servers in one place. Plesk 360

Plesk 360 sounds nice, but it seems i cant use it with a Plesk License which i got over Hetzner?

Plesk 360 is an additional service that does not come with the Plesk license. The "Lite" version is free so you can test the service with your first Plesk installation. Plesk 360 can be used with all Plesk licenses. The servers that are managed by it can have different licenses. Plesk 360 is an option, not mandatory. I was only mentioning it, because you plan to operate several servers, and Plesk 360 can make that a lot easier. It is also possible to not to use it and maintain/administrate each server separately.

Hetzer is a Plesk partner and reseller. Reseller license prices may be lower than the official Plesk prices, but these licenses do not include Plesk support. You are always welcome to turn to the community in this forum or our Facebook group. However, for continuous professional operations, e.g. as a web hoster, by experience I can recommend to also get Plesk support. The staff is highly trained, available 24/7 with short response and amazingly short solution times. However, Plesk support is also an option and if you want to get started, you can always start with a reseller license and add support later when you need it.

Back