• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved RAM, CPU, Disk I/O (Linux) not working

Oshikuru

New Pleskian
Hi,

we are running onyx on a debian 8 virtual server (underlying ESXi).
I have ordered a trial license with support of resource managing. Under Service Plans -> <Service Planname> -> RAM, CPU, Disk I/O not all options are available (screen shot).

It seems that all options are active in the operating system:
Code:
# column -t /proc/cgroups 
#subsys_name  hierarchy  num_cgroups  enabled
cpuset        2          1            1
cpu           3          13           1
cpuacct       3          13           1
memory        4          13           1
devices       5          1            1
freezer       6          1            1
net_cls       7          1            1
blkio         8          13           1
perf_event    9          1            1
net_prio      7          1            1

But in plesk not all of them are registered (even the memory field is missing in plesk web interface):
Code:
# plesk sbin resctrl --features
{"cpu": false, "cpuacct": true, "memory": true, "blkio": true, "vhosts_blkio": true}

Can you please help me to activate them?

Attachments

• onyx-1.png
    onyx-1.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 14
Currently, the Debian 8 Linux kernel is not 100% compatible. The kernel was compiled with the option CONFIG_CFS_BANDWIDTH = n.

You need to make sure that the option is enabled and you need to recompile the kernel.

If you do not know how this works, I advise you Ubuntu 16 or CentOS 7!

P.S.: You can find the configuration below: /boot/config-XXX

I think that your current license does not allow for the cgroup feature. Please refer to this thread where this is explained in more detail:
https://talk.plesk.com/threads/reso...in-tools-settings-services-management.339778/

Since the license was ordered especially for testing cgroups, I think plesk onlinesales gave me the correct one. In Tools & Settings -> License management there is a section System resource controller. This is set to "On".

Currently, the Debian 8 Linux kernel is not 100% compatible. The kernel was compiled with the option CONFIG_CFS_BANDWIDTH = n.

You need to make sure that the option is enabled and you need to recompile the kernel.

If you do not know how this works, I advise you Ubuntu 16 or CentOS 7!

P.S.: You can find the configuration below: /boot/config-XXX

I think this could be the point.
But since recompiling the kernel or switching to another operating system is not an option for us I will need to know when the debian 8 kernel will be supported.
Does anybody know when plesk will support cgroups with debian 8 standard kernel?

Okay, I will open a report.

But can somebody help me to use the memory feature now? Because as you can see in my first post the memory part should be enabled, but I can not see this option in the web interface.

Here the code:
Code:
{"cpu": false, "cpuacct": true, "memory": true, "blkio": true, "vhosts_blkio": true}

And even if I use a backport kernel no other option is shown in the web interface. All options are true with the new kernel:
Code:
{"cpu": true, "cpuacct": true, "memory": true, "blkio": true, "vhosts_blkio": true}

I talked to a plesk agent and I decided to not open a report, because the standard debian 8 kernel does not support CPU and Memory by default.
But as you can read here: https://docs.plesk.com/release-notes/onyx/upgrade-notes/ (Under "System Resources Usage Limits") you can enable the memory functionality in the kernel by just adding the option "cgroup_enable=memory" to the kernel parameters.

Currently we are testing the cgroups RAM feature. I think I will open a new thread for the problem we are now experiencing...

Hi,

Just posting some info in case another user ends up on this page.

I purchased the cgroup extension today and only found out that it did not support debian 8.6 with default kernel afterwards.

I manage a dedicated server hosted at Hetzner.
Debian 8.6 Kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64

Only option I had available on the server after install the extension was a way to control disk usage.

Making this change on /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1"

Did not solve the issue

Output of the command plesk sbin resctrl --features
{"cpu": false, "cpuacct": true, "memory": true, "blkio": true, "vhosts_blkio": false}

Web interface only show the option for disk usage.

#############################
This is what worked on the end
#############################

echo deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jessie-backports.list
apt-get update
apt-get -t jessie-backports install linux-image-amd64

/etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1"

reboot

After rebooting the system the out put of the command

plesk sbin resctrl --features
{"cpu": true, "cpuacct": true, "memory": true, "blkio": true, "vhosts_blkio": false}

Interface still did not show options to control anything but disk usage.

Removed the Resource controller based on Systemd and installed it again.

Still did not figure out if the Disk read and write works, I tried one time and it did not save the settings.
plesk.png

Back