• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Rate Limits Error Lets Encrypt when trying to secure Plesk Panel on Strato V-Server

GerdSchrewe

Basic Pleskian
I ordered a new Strato V-Server with Ubtuntu 16.04 LTS and Plesk Onyx 17.8 (Web Pro edition).
I migrated only 2 domains from an older Starto V-Server with Ubuntu 14.04 and Plesk 12.5 to test the migration.
Both domains work fine after migration. Mailboxes, Websites, databases and Letsencrypt were migrated too.

But in Plesk Onyx the hXXXXX.stratoserver.net is listed as a Abonnement (this must be new in Onyx).

When i try to secure this Abonnement (the Plesk Panel) with Letsencrypt i get a error Message:
Rate Limits exceeded 20domains/week.
Status 429 um:acme:error rate limited too many certificates already issued for stratoserver.net
But at the moment there are only 2 domains migrated from the old Server...?

Everything else works very well....

Does anyone know what to do? Many thanks in advance....
Paul

It seems you are trying to secure a subdomain to stratoserver.net. As there will be many others, the rate limit is exceeded. The rate limit cannot be changed. Another limit applies to the IP address that you are using. If there are many other customers on the same IP address and the IP address is shared by virtual host technology, a rate limit applies, too.

Normally, Let's Encrypt won't complain if you try to create a certificate for a unique "real" domain.

Thanx a lot Peter.
As i said all "real domains" work fine with Letsencrypt. The new "Onyx feature" to secure the panel itself not, because of the rate limits.
The hxxxx...stratoserver.net (subdomain of sratoserver.net) cannot be used for this. This is a handicap on a shared server that I hadn't considered before.

And the hostname cannot be changed??? Normally you can set a host name if your choice in Plesk.

Hi Peter,
you can change the hostname in Plesk but with each restart the hostname is overwritten again by h....stratoserver.net.

I have now deleted h...stratoserver.net in My subscriptions and created a redirect with the help of an experienced colleague.

redirect to plesk panel except for letsencrypt request
## RedirectMatch "^/(?!\.well-known/acme-challenge/)(.*)$" "https://serverX.example.de
Made a new "My subscription" serverx.example.de and installed Letsencrypt.
Then changed the ReverseDNS to serverX.example.de in the strato config menue and it works...
I can now reach the Plesk Panel with https://serverX.example.net....
Sorry for my bad translation...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

What OS do you use and what the Virtualization that Strato uses?

If it is OpenVZ or Virtuozzo you can set a startup script that changes the hostaname back to the one you want.

If it is Ubuntu 16.04, Debian 8.x or CentOS 7 you can use this as example:

• create a file called /etc/systemd/system/hostname_vps.service
Code:
[Unit]
Description=Set the hostname on boot
Before=rsyslog.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/hostname_vps

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

• create a file called /usr/local/bin/hostname_vps
Code:
#!/bin/bash
HOSTNAME=www.example.com
[ -f /etc/hostname ] && echo $HOSTNAME > /etc/hostname
[ -f /etc/HOSTNAME ] && echo $HOSTNAME > /etc/HOSTNAME
[ -f /etc/mailname ] && echo $HOSTNAME > /etc/mailname
[ -f /etc/sysconfig/network ] && sed -i.hebackup s/HOSTNAME=".*"/HOSTNAME="$HOSTNAME"/ /etc/sysconfig/network
/bin/hostname $HOSTNAME
[ -f /etc/my.resolv.conf ] && cp /etc/my.resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
[ -f /etc/my.hosts ] && cp /etc/my.hosts /etc/hosts
exit 0

(replace www.example.com with the hostname that you want)

• give the file execute right
Code:
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/hostname_vps

• edit the hosts file (so it also uses the hostaname) and create a copy of it
Code:
nano /etc/hosts
cp -a /etc/hosts /etc/my.hosts

• Enable the changes
Code:
systemctl daemon-reload && systemctl enable hostname_vps.service && systemctl start hostname_vps.service && systemctl restart rsyslog

Now the hostname should be reboot prove

Back