• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Reboot required after kernel update

Redsector

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.51 Update #1
Today I found out that my VPS needed a reboot due to kernel update.
Plesk was not aware of that.

I've now added a script to check file "/var/run/reboot-required" to alert me whenever is necessary.

I suppose this feature should be implemented in Plesk natively to either reboot automatically (bad idea) or to alert via email a reboot may be necessary.

It is quite unusual that a Kernel update is done "automatically". It cannot be expected that application layers watch that as updating the Kernel itself requires administrator attention. It is also clear that unless you are using KernelCare that allows using updated Kernels without reboot a reboot is required under Linux, because the Kernel is the - well - kernel of things. I suggest that you try to find out why Kernel update occurred without you knowing about it. Maybe ask the data center if they "manage" the server for you?

In debian, plesk doesn't even show kernel upgrades as they require a dist-upgrade.
In ubuntu, a kernel update might be done automatically by ubuntu itself if it is tagged as a security update.

Back