• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Register a named instance of MS SQL as a new database server

RoelofS

New Pleskian
How do I register a named instance of MS SQL as a new database server?

In Home>Tools & Settings>Database servers>Add Database server, if I choose MicrosoftSQL Server in Database server type I only get to choose the Host name or IP address, but not the instance name.

Is there any way to get around this? Do I have to use a special format in this Host Name field?

AFAIK SQL Server Express Editions always install as a named Instance, even if you only have one. The Instance name, by default, is SQLEXPRESS. So, in Hostname field we should provide something like IP\SQLEXPRESS, and then it will work properly. Also if you are connecting to a named instance or a port other than TCP port 1433, you must also open the UDP port 1434 for the SQL Server Browser service.

I also thought I knew that about SQL Express editions, so I tried about anything with the name 'SQLEXPRESS'.

It turned out that Plesk named the instance 'MSSQLSERVER2008'. Maybe that name has been set by the hoster?

I found out when I ran 'osql -L' in RDP.

Thanks for your help though and for your swift reply!

Back