• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Reinstall Plesk

J

JarkkoH

For some really stupid idea I was handling some settings on my server and wrote yum erase per-Mail-SPF. After clicking enter I was forced to watch with a cold sweat on my eyebrows as this command terminates all kinds of services from server along with removing SPF service. At the moment I knew I was in a trouble and that was confirmed by trying to enter into Plesk panel at https://mysite.com:8443. It just gives me 404 Not Found error. Website is still running with html and php but fe. email does not function anymore. No mails going in or out.

Well after contacting my server hosting provider they noted that Plesk needs to be reinstalled. I could do this myself or they could do that for me next week for a fee(holidays starting in here). Well I'm ready to try reinstall Plesk panel but I'm no good with Linux and I'm afraid I'll mess up things more by trying to reinstall Plesk on my own. So I would greatly appreciate if I could get some hand in here.

My server is running with CentOS 5.3 and I get contact to it through SSH. I haven't uninstalled any other service beside SPF that was already mentioned. It seems that my host provider has installed Plesk and left installation files to /root folder parallels_installer_v3.6.0_build100407.15_os_CentOS_5_i386 package so that's the one I should install software from. By looking to /root/parallels folder there's PSA_9.5.2 folder along with plesk.inf3, ppsmbe.inf3, products.inf3, settemplates.inf3 and sitebuilder.inf3 files. So my wild guess is that Plesk is running with version 9.5.2.

1) First of all I suggest that I need to remove old Plesk Panel version and already found out instruction to that at Parallels Plesk Panel Guide. Do I need to remove some other services too so they wouldn't cause troubles with fresh Plesk install? I read it somewhere that there's http, mysql, cyrus and php services to be removed before installing Plesk. Do I just yum remove those?

2) There's getenforce that give status Permissive. Do I need to setenforce 0 it?

3) When I start ./parallels_insta* there's notion under Important that Plesk should only be istalled to clean servers. Does this mean I should reinstall whole system?!

4) Do I need to consider any other setting or other thing by reinstalling Plesk?

Any help with these is appreciated.

Yes, it would be better to disable SELinux with getenforce. Also I recommend you just run /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller and update Plesk with it or just select needed components in menu there and install them.

Thanks for fast reply. Didn't really thought about update, that's great idea! However still struggling with problems:

1) By trying to setenforce 0 getenforce still gives Permissive. What can I do to get it disabled?

2) I tested autoinstaller as you noted but get warning:
Your host name must resolve to the correct IP address of your server, unless you are using network address translation (NAT).

Please quit Parallels Products Installer, fix the host name resolution problem, and then try installing again. You can skip the hostname check and continue the installation, however, in such a case, the installer cannot guarantee successful installation.

Do you want to continue?

Is this something I need to take care off and how do I do that?

Ok. Do not touch SELinux settings. Leave it as is.
And check that hostname of your server is really resolvable to IP address of your server. Correct DNS if it is not correctly resolvable. Contact support team if you can't do it by yourself.

Those DNS settings was handled by our host provider. When I ping my site (www.solidrain.com) it gives correct IP address as it was given to me on server setup. Does this mean I can safely move on with update?

Try to skip hostname resolution if you are sure that hostname resolution is correct.

I did as you noted and everything seems to be running normal again. Thank you Igor very much!

Back