• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Relationship webspaces to directories

RalphScott6666

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7
Plesk version and microupdate number
I have an existing plesk installation (version 18.0.46) with 1 domain and 1 subdomain and i'd like to add another domain. Its easy enough to find the button but i am not sure if i should use a new webspace or not. Even though the 2 domains are related to some extent, I don't want them to share a directory (and risk overwriting the existing website) and i'm not sure if by choosing a new webspace i can guarantee this. Or is it that the directory is tied to the domain name and the webspace is an unrelated concern.

i've read that webspaces might be thought of as an 'account' and since the 2 domains are related, i don't mind them being on the same webspace as long as i can pick a new directory under /var/www/vhosts for it to live at.

Can someone clear my confusion?

Thanks in advance.

Each domain can and should have its own document root directory. If this is located in the same subscription (account), then the scripts of one website can technically directly access the files of the other website if they wanted to. If it is located in a separate subscription, they cannot. When you choose different document root directories for each domain, you can operate two (n) independent websites in the same subscription. It is not necessary to have separate subscriptions for them.

However, one big advantage of separate subscription is that if one website gets infected with malware, the other one stays safe. This is not the case when both of them share the same subscription, because there a malware could walk the directory tree to discover more files to infect, even if they do not belong to its own website.

Am i to understand that webspace is the same as a subscription? They all are starting to sound like a user. And using a different webspace even if the sites are related will not 'hurt' anything but maybe make some things more protected.

It also seems like webspace does not impact choice of root directories, which is good.

Thank you for your reply.

Am i to understand that webspace is the same as a subscription?
Thats correct.

And using a different webspace even if the sites are related will not 'hurt' anything but maybe make some things more protected.
It all depends on how sites are related. If sites share a similar code base for example you might want to share the same document root. Other then that I would say that having each site on it own webspace/subscription is the sane way to go.

Back