• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Remote Connection to MSSQL named instance

rafaelgrecco

New Pleskian
Hi guys,

I allowed remote connections to MSSQL on my Plesk installation.

I can connect to my default MSSQL instance (in my case SQL 2016) using the IP alone, but whenever I try to connect to a named instance (SQL 2012 for example), I get the message the the server was not found.

The named instance has the default name IP-ADDRESS\MSSQLSERVER2012

Do I need to do any additional step to connect to named instances?

Thanks

Please check that service "SQL Server Browser" is running

Yes it is running. Do I need to configure a static port for it? I thought that the SQL Server Brwoser would to the trick...

EDIT: I found the problem.

If I use dynamically assigned ports (default for named instances), the firewall won't know what port to open, that's the reason it does not work.

I was looking for a way to configure the firewall to allow dymamically assigned SQL ports... but I don't know if it is possible. If not, I will have to use a static port for it.

Do you know if it is possible?

Last edited:
Hi, I had configure a static TCP port for it to work. I don't think it is possible to use dynamic ports (default for named SQL instances) for remote connections.

Back