• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Remote FTP backups for a particular domain show in backup list of other domains

Kaspar

API expert
Plesk Guru
User name: Rasp

TITLE

Remote FTP backups for a particular domain show in backup list of other domains

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

CentOS Linux 7.8.2003, Plesk 18.0.27 Update #1

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

When different domains (from different customers even) use FTP to store backups to the same remote server, the backups from each domain are shown in the backup list. So when a backup is made from domain A (from customer A) and stored remotely to the same FTP server which is used for backups from domain B (from customer B) the remote backups from domain A are visible in the backup list from domain B.

Screenshot to visualize. (In this scenario the remote backup from domain one.nl is shown in the backup list of domain two.nl).
4PVAqRi.png

Granted customers are not likely to use the same remote FTP server for backup. But I can think of scenarios where this might happen. Other than that it's quite confusing for administrators as well.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Prerequisite: have a FTP server available
  • Create two customers in Plesk, each with separate subscriptions and domains
  • Setup remote FTP backups for each domain to the same remote server (to the same directory) using the backup manager
  • Create a backup for one of the domains which is stored remotely to the FTP server
  • When backup the backup is finished navigate to the backup manager on the other domain and notice how the backup you've just created for the previous domain is shown

ACTUAL RESULT

Remote FTP backups are visible (and accessible) from other domains

EXPECTED RESULT

Remote backups from other domains are not visible (and accessible)

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Last edited:
I would add that this was not an issue on Onyx. Additionally, backing up to separate directories on the same remote server still causes the problem described by Rasp. In my case it's a problem with some domains but not others (all backed up to same remote server).
plesk backup manager june 2020.png

This is quite dangerous bug if it is confirmed. @IgorG

Irrelevant: I have some suspicious thoughts about Plesk with some TLD's handling i.e. (.link .dd .li ). still no clues. hope not.

Remote backups are personal and should be configured to be created at different places under different accounts.

Reactions: Hex
Could you explain the case you provide your own FTP storage to your customers? May be ability to share remote server backups (as local backups) helps you.

Apologize, that was confusing, I was dealing with another issue related to backups at the same time.

Remote backups are personal and should be configured to be created at different places under different accounts.

I've reproduce the issue, it's expected behavior if both domains or subscriptions or even customers are using the same FTP username and directory /

You can use 1 FTP server but each domain needs it's own FTP usename on the same server, I suggest each customer gets 1 FTP user to use it for all their subscriptions.

Edit: Also you can add new path for each domain with the same FTPuser /nl.one /nl.two and so on.

Plesk is designed and configured with privacy in mind (You can have FTP server for each domain on the same subscription with the same customer if you want to).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, DenisG. I handle backups for my clients and do this per domain, in addition to a full server backup. So from my Admin login I create an FTP backup to another server. Clients do not have access to backups.

Why do you need 2 backups (separate and a part of a server backup) for each domain? Do you want to have 2 copies of a backup on different servers?

That is correct. Backups on different servers. Seems Plesk should disallow Admin from making a backup on a domain if that's not a manner in which it should be used. Very odd to me that an admin couldn't make a backup on a client's account, even if the intent is to have the client handle their own backups. If I was to do the initial backup for a client's domain, and then hand backups off to the client, the issue would still exist unless I was to login as the client to set up the initial backup, rather than the admin. It did not use to work this way - in previous versions admins did not see backups for all domains when viewing backups for an individual domain.

Back