• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Remote MX fails for local system

E

evydaemon

Remote mail exchanger not working for local system through Plesk NS configuration.

If you send an email from and to domains that are hosted on the system, mails that should be forwarded to a remote MX of the recepients domain get lost.

eg:
*[email protected] wants to send to [email protected].
*Both domains are hosted on the plesk server.
*nasa.gov has an MX record: 212.12.1.1 which is a remote system somewhere.
(serversomewhere.com IN MX mail.serversomewhere.com, mail.serversomewhere.com IN A 212.12.1.1) *nasa.gov has "Mail services" disabled in the Plesk Panel *mail from [email protected] won't be passed over to 212.12.1.1 for some reason

if "Mail services" is activated and the mailbox [email protected] is active and the MX record is points to the local IP the mail will be delivered.

Is there anything else to do if you want to get mails being sent to remote MX?

A local dig shows the MX record correctly.

Currently version 9.2.3 is installed
fedora core 8

Hello

First, I hope the MX don't point to 212.12.1.1. A MX-record must point to a hostname, never an IP-address.

This is up to the MTA and I can't see which one you use. If you use Qmail, check the file:
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts and verify that the domain is not in that list. It should be removed from there when you disable "Mail services".

I'm not sure when Postfix keeps the list of local domain-names it should accept mail for, but try to find it and check the list there if you use postfix.

Robert

It's not in the rcpthosts file. we checked that earlier, also we are using postfix.
the MX record is a domain name (mail.domain.tld), that points to the A record.

Mails sent from local system to domains with foreign MX goes to the mail queue as defered.
this shouldn't happen of course and unfortunately the server still thinks it should handle this mails.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with Postfix so I can't help you then. It sounds like everything should be okay, except that it don't work :)

If I don't remember totally wrong Exim had its own file for local hostnames that where located remote. Domains needed to be in that file in order to get it to send the mail remote. Could Postfix have something similar?

Back