• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Remove Apache Web Hosting Component

Andy Fox

New Pleskian
Hi,
Simple question, but can't find it addressed anywhere:

What happens when you Remove the Apache Web Hosting Component, using Add and Remove Product Components interface?
In other words, does Plesk require that Apache Web Hosting Component for it's own web interface?

My websites use pure nginx so I don't need Apache.
Thanks
Akribis Admin

Hi Fabian,
Thanks for taking the time to answer! Yes, I read that somewhere, and I believe it. But that doesn't really solve the problem. For example:

a) Let's assume that if you Remove Apache Web Hosting Component it breaks Plesk websites, including Management on 8443 and Updates on 8447
So why would they include that option in their own user interface? Surely they would not make an option to completely break Plesk in their own user interface? Maybe, when you Remove Apache Web Hosting Component, it only removes Apache for Customer websites, and not Apache for Plesk ...? That would make more sense...

1641564847872.png

b) Also, why is there no mention of this issue in any modern Pesk support document? There does not seem to be any report of someone breaking their Plesk when they Remove Apache Web Hosting Component. You would have thought that at least there would be a small warning somewhere, saying: Don't remove the Apache...

c) Why would anyone even bother with Plesk without HTTPS GUI ? Should not be possible...?

At the moment, I am not convinced either way. If I remove it, I am still 50/50 whether it will break...
Cheers,
Akribis Admin

I just informed, as I see it, plesk itself uses nginx since version 12.5.
I assume, you can remove apache. Maybe, you have to do a plesk install after.
But if you want to be sure, you should create a test environment and try that there.
EDIT: Wait a second, I will try that...

Alright, seems like my first assumption was correct.
Using the cli plesk installer, apache cannot be removed without removing plesk itself. Also, this shows up while trying to remove apapche with GUI.
This would remove the following components on my test environment:

Watchdog system monitoring, Plesk Migrator, Plesk Premium Antivirus, Monitoring, Mail Log Browser, PHP Composer, SSL It!, Let's Encrypt, AWStats, All language localization for Plesk, PHP from OS vendor, Plesk Web Server Configuration Troubleshooter, WordPress Toolkit

Tested with Plesk Obsidian 18.0.40.1 on AlmaLinux 8.5

Ah, fantastic, thanks. It was not trivial to create test environment with my dedicated (old fashioned!) server.
I hope other people will benefit from confirmation that you should NOT Remove Apache Web Hosting Component from Plesk Obsidian, even if you only use nginx for websites. This answer is useful, because it helps me to streamline the server correctly. Now I can go ahead and optimise Apache for Plesk, and nginx for my website. I like this solution because it keeps Management interface (Plesk) and Business interface (website) on separate web servers.
Thanks again,
Akribis

Back