• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Required programs for upgrade

AndorA

Basic Pleskian
More feedback than a question. But if you upgrade Plesk 9.5 to Plesk 10, a number of programs are required "for Plesk core components" that were not required before.

While explicitly deselecting Horde, MailEnable and BIND, Plesk mentioned that these were required for the upgrade. So next to SmarterMail I must have MailEnable, next to MS DNS I must have BIND and next to SmaterMail/AtMail I'm also required to have Horde.

Just hope running multiple mail/DNS programs doesn't mess up my server.

More feedback than a question. But if you upgrade Plesk 9.5 to Plesk 10, a number of programs are required "for Plesk core components" that were not required before.

While explicitly deselecting Horde, MailEnable and BIND, Plesk mentioned that these were required for the upgrade. So next to SmarterMail I must have MailEnable, next to MS DNS I must have BIND and next to SmaterMail/AtMail I'm also required to have Horde.

Just hope running multiple mail/DNS programs doesn't mess up my server.

Just install the normal default one, even will install BIND but it can be deactivated within the board.

*** DO NOT INSTALL *** the small business package, will screw your system.

I would suggest having a really good backup ready in case anything goes wrong.

Seems like the 9.0 licence works also with 10.0 as per this information from within parallels

NOTE: Parallels Plesk Panel 10 for Windows license purchases are only for use on Parallels Plesk Panel (9.0 — 10) for Windows servers and are not able to be used or transferred to Parallels Plesk Panel for Linux/Unix servers.

I did the upgrade, and just to see why was requesting to "upgrade" small business, I did that installation, and all my installation has to be re-installed totally back from 9.3 -> 9.5.2 -> 9.5.3 --> 10.0.1

Other than that backups work fine and Inmediately everything is on version 10, take at least 2 backups 1 local and other via FTP.

Hope this helps

Javier

If necesary write me at jcgalvez at megalink.com

I reported these and well and verified that these are properly detected in 10.2 and will not attempt to install, I am told unfortunately nothing to do to get around horde web mail plug in being installed. I'd imagine it's due to them pushing mailenable by default and using horde as the webmail client.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, especially the bug (or agressive pushing) of MailEnable is a very serious problem. The same thing happened again when upgrading 10.0.1 to 10.1. Again, SmarterMail was disabled and all accounts were re-created in a fresh but unwanted install of MailEnable. So all my users at that point had empty mailboxes with only the "Welcome to your new mailenable account" in it. The only way to get the old mail data back was to reinstall SmarterMail, set it as the default in Plesk while ignoring all warnings that was not a good idea. But first I had make a backup (thankfully I did, otherwise I suspect Plesk would have deleted all existing mailboxes as it was recreating them from its own database) and then later restore that. With gigabytes of emails, the backup and restore alone accounted for some serious offline time. But the worst was Plesk recreating all mail accounts: first in MailEnable, and then back in SmarterMail. It took a little over an hour each, but I guess it depends on the number of mailboxes and settings you have.

If Plesk officially supports SmarterMail, I don't think a minor upgrade should simply kill it off without warning. Thankfully I knew what was going on, otherwise I might have lost all my users' email. Hope the policy changed for the upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2.

A quick workaround would be: (Powershell)

#Write Registry Values To Trick Plesk Into Thinking MailEnable Is Installed So We Can Bypass Until SM Checks Are Updated In Plesk Installer
### NOT PERMENANT - HACK UNTIL PLESK FIXES THIER INSTALLER ### - SUPPOSEDLY WILL BE FIXED IN 10.2 - CONFIRMED!
Write-Host " - Installing MailEnable Dummy Server..."
New-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mail Enable\Mail Enable" -Force | Out-Null
Set-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mail Enable\Mail Enable" -Name "Version" -Value "Dummy Server"

Back