• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Requirements for Running PHP-FPM Handlers

smirking

New Pleskian
I have a new install of Plesk 12.5 and I'm running into an issue with enabling the PHP-FPM handlers. Even though they're set as enabled in my PHP Settings and I've configured all of the subscriptions to default to a PHP-FPM handler, the only handlers I'm allowed to choose are the FastCGI or CGI versions. "FPM Application Served by nginx" is never displayed no matter what I do.

When I view my Services panel at /plesk/server/services/ the only PHP-FPM that's enabled is "PHP-FPM 5.4.45 by OS vendor". All of the other PHP-FPM versions display, but are greyed out and cannot be started.

I tried running "plesk repair install" and "plesk repair web" from the command line, but that didn't help. I also tried creating a new subscription and created a new test domain to see if maybe my migrated settings were causing problems, but my fresh domain and subscription also failed.

I'm running Apache 2.2 and CentOS6. Is Apache 2.4 required to run PHP-FPM?

In case this matters... consulted this knowledgebase article to try and start php-fpm from the command line:
https://kb.odin.com/en/127195

Trying to start a php-fpm process from the command line results in the "No pool defined" error. The knowledgebase says to fix this, I need to enable at least one domain to use a php-fpm handler, but I'm unable to assign any domain to use php-fpm.

Ok, I'm going to answer my own question here. Yes, you can run php-fpm with CentOS 6 and Apache 2.2. If you're having issues getting php-fpm to be selectable for a domain, you may have experienced the same issue I did. I had a problem with nginx. It actually wasn't running. You'll know that this is part of your issue if you go to the Apache + nginx settings in the domain configurations and it doesn't give you any options for adding custom directives to nginx.

When I view my Services panel at /plesk/server/services/ the only PHP-FPM that's enabled is "PHP-FPM 5.4.45 by OS vendor". All of the other PHP-FPM versions display, but are greyed out and cannot be started.
Trying to start a php-fpm process from the command line results in the "No pool defined" error. The knowledgebase says to fix this, I need to enable at least one domain to use a php-fpm handler
That is normal behaviour. If there are no domains set to use a particular PHP-FPM version then the option will be greyed out and will not start. If you move a domain to one of the greyed out versions you'll find it starts itself.
This tripped me up and wasted a few hours when I first saw it.
but I'm unable to assign any domain to use php-fpm.
Haven't experienced this so not much help :(

That is normal behaviour.

I know, but I was unable to assign anything to use php-fpm. After a lot of wrestling, it became evident that nginx was not running at all and php-fpm is tied to nginx in Plesk. No nginx means no php-fpm.

I had some issues with getting nginx started, but I worked it out and was then able to use my php-fpm handlers.

Glad to hear you got it sorted
clear.png
;)

Back