• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

reseller DNS, /etc/resolv.conf ?

J

JohnB@

Hello All:

When giving a reseller his/her own nameservers in Plesk 8, do I add these in
/etc/resolv.conf
as well ?
E.g., my /etc/resolv.conf looks like this:
nameserver 111.22.33.10
nameserver 111.22.77.21
search mydomain.com
....should I add:
nameserver 111.22.33.11
nameserver 111.22.77.22
search resellerdomain.com

Please advise.

John

Hi John,

To the best of my knowledge, no you don't need to do anything like that.

When a nameserver is registered for a domain all that happens is that you effectively get a pointer, making nsX.whatever.tld point to a certain IP address.

As long as that IP address is the IP address of your DNS server (i.e. your plesk box) then it will work.

What I'm saying is that there is nothing stopping anyone anywhere in the world creating nameserver records for any domain they own and pointing them to your box. There are no config changes you need to make in order to allow this.

Of course if you have not configured named to prevent recursive DNS then effectively this would allow anyone to hijack the processing power of your box to do their own DNS lookups.

But I may be wrong on all this. Maybe someone else will pipe up with a more definitive answer.

Faris.

/etc/resolv.conf is ONLY used to resolve domain name queries inside the server. For example if you ping / traceroute a domain it will query this file to decide what DNS nameservers to query for its results.

Back