• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Restore "Selected Objects" not an option from backup

JeffreyZ

Basic Pleskian
I have a repository backup that I want to partially restore. I see the option "Selected Objects" but it cannot be selected. I'm wondering why that is not an option?

I'm also wondering what "restore this backup despite the fact that it does not have a valid signature" means. I see a check box. Is Plesk telling me my backup doesn't have a valid signature? What is the meaning of a "signature"?

Attachments

• plesk-restore-backup.gif
    plesk-restore-backup.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for your reply, Igor. This backup (as well as another I just tested) were created on Plesk 12.

Right. Backed up to a remote server. Sounds like you are saying that if I use a remote server I cannot select objects to restore?

Quoted from the above article:

What are backup signatures for?
Backups are signed with a server-specific key in order to ensure that the backup is made on the same server and has not been modified. This security measure protects against attempts to restore forged backups in order to increase limits or gain permissions.

I understand signatures now. Thank you. I don't need this additional protection so I will disable it. But I would like to be able to restore just mail or just the website files instead of having to restore everything. Does the signature effect being able to restore just a segment (object) of the backup, or is that a separate issue?

Again a quote from the KB - article:

When are backups signed?
Backups are signed in the following cases:

• The backup is created in the FTP server repository.
  • The backup is downloaded from the Parallels Plesk Panel interface.
  • The backup is created using the pleskbackup command-line utility, even if the argument for -output-file is a local file.
Backups created on the server and stored in the local repository are not signed.

It doesn't matter WHAT object you would like to restore, if signatures are enabled, each object is globally signed on each backup.

I'm revisiting the signature / "select objects" restore issue. I've disabled signatures and created a new backup to an ftp server repository. On attempting a backup, I do not have an option to restore "select objects". If I'm understanding this correctly, with signatures disabled, I should be able to restore select objects from the repository.

Followed instructions (below) from a KB / Odin article. Am I missing something?

I don't need it! How can I disable this feature?
Signature checking may be turned off through the /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini configuration file:

[pmm] allowRestoreModifiedDumps = on

I'm revisiting the signature / "select objects" restore issue. I've disabled signatures and created a new backup to an ftp server repository. On attempting a backup, I do not have an option to restore "select objects". If I'm understanding this correctly, with signatures disabled, I should be able to restore select objects from the repository.

Followed instructions (below) from a KB / Odin article. Am I missing something?

I don't need it! How can I disable this feature?
Signature checking may be turned off through the /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini configuration file:

[pmm] allowRestoreModifiedDumps = on
I had this issue before. I backed up to a remote FTP repository using a hostname and could not restore selected objects. If I replaced the server hostname with it's IP then I could restore selected objects. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but it is annoying.

Just tried it using an IP address. Works. I was able to restore files I deleted. Thanks for your help Jon and Chris.

Back