• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Restrict index file in wwwroot for user

R

rvdmeer

Hi guys,

Before asking my question I must say this isnt a plesk based question. Its an unix/linux permission question. Still, based on the experience i can say there are several unix professionals here who might be able to help me with this question.

We are sponsering a website and therefor created an subdomein. The customer is able to upload files on the subdomein. I would like to restrict his access to the index.html file.

I changed the permissions on the index.html file to:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root psacln 1009 Dec 17 13:34 index.html
I would say that this solves the problem because I restricted the user permissions on the index.html file. But still, if i'm connecting thru ftp, on his user login, i'm able to change/remove the file. I guess that the permissions are recursive from the home directory who has the permissions to upload.

Could someone tell me howto restrict the access for removing this file and recreating a new index.html file?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

As long as this user does not know a lot about Linux, you could set the immutable bit (chattr +i) which should then make the file unchangeable even by root (until that bit is unset).

No problem Ronald, it seems that the older I get, the easier it is for my brain to follow the KISS principle. Probably due to having fewer brain cells.... LOL

chmod -w index.html

should work, i don't think they can change a read only file.

Back