• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Roundcube does not work

VidjayG

Basic Pleskian
I installed Roundcube in Plesk 12 through the link:
https://server:8443/admin/updates/components

But it doesn't work. I adjusted the mailsettings for a domain to use Roundcube. With the fresh created emailaccount and you click on the webmailicon, it loads the following url but the page does not exists:

http://webmail.DOMAIN.nl/roundcube/[email protected]

What is wrong? Aren't there any instructions for using RoundCube with Plesk? After adding Roundcube as an component are there more steps involved to get Roundcube up and running with plesk?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi VidjayG,

your logs at "/var/log/plesk-roundcube" may point to issues - please post them for further investigations.
In addition, your apache and/or nginx log - files from your domain might as well point to issues: "/var/www/vhosts/system/example.com/logs"

/var/log/plesk-roundcube: Does contain an "errors" document, but it is empty

/var/www/vhosts/system/example.com/logs: Contains:

-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 384860 dec 12 01:36 access_log
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 409136 dec 11 03:18 access_log.processed
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 dec 11 03:19 access_log.stat
-rw------- 1 root root 0 dec 11 03:19 access_log.webstat
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 0 dec 10 16:28 access_ssl_log
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 0 dec 11 03:18 access_ssl_log.processed
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 dec 11 03:19 access_ssl_log.stat
-rw------- 1 root root 0 dec 11 03:19 access_ssl_log.webstat
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 14897 dec 11 15:24 error_log
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 0 dec 11 03:18 xferlog_regular
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 602013 dec 11 03:18 xferlog_regular.processed
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 dec 11 03:19 xferlog_regular.stat

None of the above contains anything about Roundcube, where to look?

I also see the configfile for roundcube with the specified domain:

/etc/apache2/plesk.conf.d/webmails/roundcube#

it is configured indeed as you said "webmail.domain.nl", can it have something to do with the fact that i didn't configure any subdomain "webmail.domain.nl"?

Hi VidjayG,

if the error.logs doesn't point to any issues, you could as well try to switch to Horde and see if this works for you ( you can easily install Horde, like you already installed Roundcube before. Both extensions can be equally installed and you choose the desired webmail extension in your specific domain settings. )

Another reason might be, that the depending domain - specific configurations were not built. You can reconfigure your configurations with the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-all
or
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-domain YOURDOMAIN.COM

Please make sure, that you restart you webserver ( apache and if installed nginx as well ), when you changed hosting configurations.

Hello support,

i have tried:

Restart apache2 + nginx

No result, after installing Horde and doing the same reconfigure and restart, also no result. I notice that I can't ping webmail.DOMAIN.nl, the domain itself is pingable. I hope you can help further, any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Hi VidjayG,

any new errors at the depending error - logs from apache2 ( /var/log/apache2/ ), nginx ( /var/log/nginx/ ), domain specific error - logs ( /var/www/vhosts/system/example.com/logs/ ) or roundcube ( /var/log/plesk-roundcube/ ) ? Please do not post the whole logs, just try to open the webmail - URL, note the time when you tried it and open all relevant logs ( access and error - logs ) and copy and paste the entries 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after your try.
Please consider as well to use the debug - level in the roundcube - configuration: Temporarily set some of the logging/debugging settings to "true" at "/usr/share/psa-roundcube/config/defaults.inc.php" ( section "// LOGGING/DEBUGGING" ) and post relevant log - entries afterwards.

No new errors, and I don't thing Roundcube is the problem because the same thing happens with Horde, if you go to the url it doesn't even reach the server because it can't resolve the url webmail.DOMAIN.nl, is it possible for testpurposes to change the url for webmail? something like DOMAIN.nl/webmail?

Last edited:
Hi VidjayG,

have you checked your DNS - settings? Is the entry "webmail.example.com. A XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" available ( where XXX... should be your server-IP )?

Really sorry, but I don't have DNS-settings within my domain, also when I clap the settings out no DNS settings...really frustrating :(...

I installed BIND and now have the DNS-settings, there is an a-record defined:

webmail.DOMAIN.nl. which points to my server ip. I have reconfigured with:

restarted apache, nginx and bind, still no result and still not pingable. Please help

Hi VidjayG,

have you installed a firewall? Did you configure ports? Do you use Fail2ban and didn't add the server ip to the config, in order to prevent banning your server ip?

For further investigations it is really essential, that you post the depending log - entries as I suggested before. You have to investigate the error- and access - logs in order to get to know the cause. I can only suggest solutions, but guessing will take ages to solve the issue. Be aware that the more informations you provide, the better will get the suggestions to solve issues.

Hi, I have the standard installation of Plesk 11.5 on my VPS, i don't think it includes Fail2ban but it has the Plesk Firewall extension. Which log do you need specific? I see in the firewall settings in Plesk the following:

! Domain name server Deny incoming from all

Could this be an issue?

Hi VidjayG,

it is not really relevant, but you opened a thread in "Parallels Panel Discussion > Parallels Plesk Panel for Linux > Parallels Plesk Panel 12.x for Linux Problems, Suggested Fixes, and How-To". If you use Plesk 11.5, please consider opening a thread in "Parallels Plesk Panel 11.x for Linux Problems, Suggested Fixes, and How-To".

Please read the following KB - article:

In order to investigate your iptables, please use the command:

iptables -L

... and post the output please.

To get to know, if the firewall and it's configuration is the cause of your issue, please consider to disable it and flush the iptables with the commands:

/etc/init.d/psa-firewall stop && iptables -F

Please consider as well to read my previous posts, according to WHAT access and/or error - logs are needed for further investigations. You might as well have a look at this KB - article, to inform yourself about it:

Last edited by a moderator:
For testing purpose i disabled the firewall completely with the command:

/etc/init.d/psa-firewall stop && iptables -F

Apache domain log:

• /var/www/vhosts/<domain>/logs
[Sat Dec 13 20:57:10 2014] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `Parallels Panel' does NOT match server name!?
[Sat Dec 13 20:57:10 2014] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `Parallels Panel' does NOT match server name!?

The domain is happy-rotterdam.nl and I want to have webmail.happy-rotterdam.nl

if I dig local on the server to the subdomain I get the following result:

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> webmail.happy-rotterdam.nl +trace
;; global options: +cmd
. 80636 IN NS a.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS g.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS c.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS f.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS i.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS j.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS l.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS b.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS k.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS m.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS h.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS e.root-servers.net.
. 80636 IN NS d.root-servers.net.
;; Received 257 bytes from 85.214.7.22#53(85.214.7.22) in 507 ms

nl. 172800 IN NS ns1.dns.nl.
nl. 172800 IN NS nl1.dnsnode.net.
nl. 172800 IN NS ns2.dns.nl.
nl. 172800 IN NS ns4.dns.nl.
nl. 172800 IN NS ns5.dns.nl.
nl. 172800 IN NS sns-pb.isc.org.
nl. 172800 IN NS ns-nl.nic.fr.
nl. 172800 IN NS ns3.dns.nl.
;; Received 501 bytes from 192.5.5.241#53(192.5.5.241) in 153 ms

happy-rotterdam.nl. 7200 IN NS docks11.rzone.de.
happy-rotterdam.nl. 7200 IN NS shades12.rzone.de.
;; Received 97 bytes from 194.146.106.42#53(194.146.106.42) in 38 ms

happy-rotterdam.nl. 3600 IN SOA docks11.rzone.de. hostmaster.strato-rz.de. 2014072203 86400 7200 604800 7200
;; Received 117 bytes from 81.169.146.21#53(81.169.146.21) in 16 ms

This seems right?

A ping locally on the server to webmail.happy-rotterdam.nl results in:
ping: unknown host webmail.happy-rotterdam.nl

• /var/log/messages is empty....do you see something?? I have really no clue, do you want to see the zonefiles?

Back