• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Ruby on Rails

Hello,

Yes, I have reset it to the /usr/bin/ruby but my rails install on 2 systems was not accessable from the command line until I symlink in the /usr/bin/ dir. scripts/server will not even start on an app created from rails in plesk. But aside from that, the fcgi files all are being shown as text.

I do work with swsoft, so I have sent and email to plesk support. If I get an answer back I will share it.

RevMagi

@nulleffect: I'm using Debian Sarge

@RevMagi: Would be very kind of you if you can share the answer.

Greets,
Dawn

Hello,

I have not heard back from my ticket to the Plesk team. I promise as soon as I do, I will post whatever it may be. I will be in the swsoft offices in a few weeks, if I do not have an answer before then, I will bring it up with the primary Plesk Manager.

Thankyou Rev. May I ask, in what capacity you will be visiting plesk? It would be excellent of you to resolve this issue face to face with management, please definately let us know the outcome.

I ran "yum update" from official FC5 repo's, and im now getting "rails app refused to start properly" when i click "About your applications environment".

nulleffect, I think you're now where we all are. If you edit the file 'public/.htaccess' you can change line 32 FROM:

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.cgi [QSA,L]

To:

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L]

Now instead of an application error, you will probably now see the contents of dispatch.fcgi in a yellow box.

That's where I'm at. Let me know what it shows you.

OK - I have it partially solved. Please note, I am no expert, but I play one on this thread ...

Part of the problem is the version of Rails installed by Plesk. 1.1.6 was released after a HUGE security hole was revealed, and so it shut down access to all paths except for app/ libs/ and components/ . So as far as I can tell, rails/info/properties will NOT work!. Not until you upgrade rails to a more recent version. But an actual rails application should work.

Personally, I think that I might uninstall the rails package, and do the gem install. That seems to work better for me locally.

Another part of the problem (for me, at least), is that not everything was installed as it should have been. I'll go into this more later.

@All: Thanks for providing your infos with us. But I think we should wait for an "official" solution which can hopefully RevMagi provide us due his special contacts...

When Plesk supports ROR they should give us a solutions whitout "hacking" around in the config files and compiling own versions of ROR... Or am I wrong?

Greets,
Dawn

Actually, I think you might be partially wrong. I got it working. It takes a little bit of config file changes, but not more than you should expect for a RoR application. The real problem is that there is no documentation. I suspect that is because the implementation will be different per operating system.

I am working on a writeup and a sample application that I will post online hopefully in the next day or so. My system: Debian Linux (stable), mod_fcgid, rails 1.1.6. I hope it will help someone.

Perhaps I wasn't clearly enough. I refered to the above linked thread http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41798 with a link to a howto @ http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/RailsOnPlesk8.1WithCapistranoAndRubyFromSource. Some changes in a config file aren't no problem. But I general I think Plesk sould fix this config entries because the RoR integration is a part of PSA. But for the time till this fix is available it would be very usefull to have infos to get RoR applications running. I would enjoy if you can do your writeup because I'm running Sarge too. That would help me too.

Greets and thanks,
Dawn

I read through that as well, and ... I didn't even attempt anything they wrote. :)

As far as I can tell, there are no major changes that you need to make to get it working. The worst is editing your fcgid apache module config file, which needs to be done once. And creating a database.

I'm putting together the howto now, and I want to make sure I don't leave anything out. I'm also trying to put together a sample application. I'm up really early this morning, and the coffee is just kicking in!

Sounds very nice :) As soon you are ready I'll test your instructions on my server... Thx for your effort!

Greets,
Dawn

I wrote a LOT, and hopefully it will work for you. :)

Take a look!

I may not be able to reply for a while (busy day), but I will reply when I can.

Back