• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Running out of disk space

K Tysinger

New Pleskian
I run a server at Digital Ocean and I am beginning to run out of disk space. To upgrade, it will double the price of my server. I can buy more disk space via a new "volume". How could I best utilize a new volume to offload some of the data on my server? It appears that the volume comes with only one directory. I'm not sure what to do with an extra one directory volume. Any help would be great.

PS Let's not got into backup space. I have that covered. I use Google Drive.

A separate volume normally won't help, because the Plesk and customer directories are all derived from /. The better solution is to rent a server with much more disk space and either migrate the accounts to that new server or to restore all from a backup to it.

Thank you although that is not what I wanted to hear :) I might as well rent a dedicated server, or it's getting close to that. Most of the cloud servers are so similar in pricing it's like a price-fixing scheme.

Any suggestions on where to find top-tiered, but financially reasonable servers?

Well, depending on whether the majority of your customer data lies in web pages, email contents or databases, you could use a new volume for one of those locations.

It is hard to say if this a viable approach without knowing the details. Switching to an altogether bigger server instance might still be a better solution.

As for the server recommendations, you didn't even tell us where in the world are you, or better, you customers, located, so it's impossible to say. A more general community such as WebHostingTalk might be better suited for such inquiries anyway.

Back