• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Same DB name - this can't be right

J

jpepper

Is it true that separate clients cannot use the same name for a database?

How can I resell hosting if clients are limited to the name they choose for a database?

Am I missing something here?

Is there a workaround for this? I guess I could ask clients to prepend their db names, but this is not exactly an ideal solution.

The reason for this is because mySQL maintains a single list of databases, so you cannot have duplication of exact same database names. It is a 'shared' server afterall...

The ideal thing would be if Plesk auto-prepended their domain name to the database name, then the clients would not get an error message about the name already existing....

Prepend or Postpending is IMO an acceptable workaround on a shared server.

If the client wants less limitations or no limitations, then why not sell them on a dedicated server?

The clients I have on shared servers are willing to accept that since they don't want to pay the price for their own dedicated box, they have some limitations. Shared hosting is cheaper than dedicated. (I know, they all want it all for no cost...)

Thanks James -- All your comments make sense. I guess it was a shock to me b/c my previous host offered 'virtual' hosting (shared), but I was able to use the same db names across clients.

Thanks.

I've search this forum & google, and can't seem to find a way to auto-prepend a db name. My last host did this (but they used CPanel). Any ideas or pointers on how to accomplish this on Plesk would be nice.

Back