• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Scheduled task - save output to file?

antduz

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.50 Update #2
I have a scheduled task in Plesk (a command-line PHP script) that executes every minute but occasionally fails to execute without sending anything to the email address specified in Plesk to receive error logs.
It's not practical to send emails on every run because it runs every minute and any errors will be buried in that pile of emails.
Is there any way to save the stdout of the script to the server file system?
I don't have root rights on this server to edit crontab manually. But I can view the crontab file where I see that all Plesk tasks redirect to /dev/null, e.g.

* * * * * (/usr/bin/php -f 'httpdocs/scheduler.php' -- '-h' 'censored.ch') > /dev/null
SHELL="/bin/sh"
MAILTO="[email protected]"

Couldn't you update the PHP script to create the logfile itself? I would think that would be the better solution if you don't have root access to the server to edit the crontab manually.

I could, but due to the nature of this script I want to run it from CLI as well, which means writing to stdout.

That doesn't count ;) , because when the script itself writes the log, there is no need for it to write to stdout by the system function.

Back