• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved "search engine indexing" is set to off and I can't turn it on

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
A site that was recently migrated to one of our servers now has "search engine indexing" set to off.
The client also told me that indexing wasn't possible anymore (I don't know how they know this, yet).

I can press "enable" and then I will get an error message that blog_public can't be updated.
I checked that value in the "wp_options" table (it in fact does not have that wp_ prefix anymore)
That value is already set to 1

Is this the only flag it is trying to change?
Why does it give an error message if it's already 1?
Why can't robots have access to that site?

To be certain the extension has all the access it needs I did a refresh of the WP-setttings.
This setting is not giving a problem on any other site.
Not on that server or on other ones I manage with Plesk.

I am able to set and unset debugging options using that same extension.

upload_2017-4-19_10-48-6.png
upload_2017-4-19_10-45-45.png

Last edited:
I decided to set "blog_public" to 0 and then "enable" search engine indexing.
I will now try and find out if that's enough to fix the underlying issue that it's not being searched....

BTW... If this is the way to fix it, then it's a bit silly. The script should be doing that thing extra anyhow if "blog_public" is already 1

Hello Mr-Wolf,

I was not able to reproduce the issue on my environment. Could you please provide me with credentials?
After I fixed mine it now isn't possible to reproduce it anymore.

Somehow it was in a state that it saw search indexing as disabled although "blog_public" is set to 1
What's in the code that will invoke this error message?

I'm setting this thread as resolved as the issue itself is fixed and I haven't seen this anymore on any other site.

If someone else experiences the same and sees this thread he can do the same (set blog_public to 0 using phpmyadmin).
Do add a post to this thread, if so.

I'm setting this thread as resolved as the issue itself is fixed and I haven't seen this anymore on any other site.

If someone else experiences the same and sees this thread he can do the same (set blog_public to 0 using phpmyadmin).
Do add a post to this thread, if so.
I run intto the same problem and managed to fix it... so I kinda know how to reproduce it.

- Just replicate a wordpress website with this feature disable into a different existing one that have this enable... BAM, it gets disabled and you cant enable it.

To fix it: Enable search engine index before replicating it again.

Back