• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Secondary DNS

M

meto

I want to make secondary dns which keeps sync of ALL my zones on my master (PLESK) server. I can freely install any dns software on secondary. Does anybody have a solution for that instance?

Thanks a lot. Requested some modyfications but its grate solution :)

I recommend using PowerDNS and using its supermaster feature. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Is it possible to use one physical Secondary DNS for 2 ore more physical Secondary-Servers in general?
e.g.
Master1: ns1.domain.tld
Master2: ns2.domain.tld
Secondary:ns3.domain.tld ??????

You can only have one primary, but you can have as many fallbacks as you want. Plesk by default sets up both a primary and a secondary on the same machine. You could leave that alone and just add ns3.domain.tld (running on another machine). And if you want even more reliability (make sure the machines are in different networks/datacenters/locations), you can just go on: ns4, ns5, etc.

You can only have one primary, but you can have as many fallbacks as you want. Plesk by default sets up both a primary and a secondary on the same machine. You could leave that alone and just add ns3.domain.tld (running on another machine). And if you want even more reliability (make sure the machines are in different networks/datacenters/locations), you can just go on: ns4, ns5, etc.

Hi,

Found this old post. Can you explain what you mean by plesk setting up both primary and secondary? I've always struggled with trying to find a better way of handling DNS with plesk. For years, I've been using a primary and multiple secondaries, turning off the plesk DNS server. I'd love to take advantage of having it built in and not separate.

Mike

You can use Plesk as the primary and secondary nameserver (using two IP addresses on the machine), but you have to realise that using multiple machines is a much more reliable setup. If you only use your Plesk server for DNS and it goes down all DNS is down as well and mail might bounce, etc.

It might be handy to use the Plesk server as the primary nameserver, so that when you create a new domain in Plesk DNS is automatically set up.

You can use Plesk as the primary and secondary nameserver (using two IP addresses on the machine), but you have to realise that using multiple machines is a much more reliable setup. If you only use your Plesk server for DNS and it goes down all DNS is down as well and mail might bounce, etc.

It might be handy to use the Plesk server as the primary nameserver, so that when you create a new domain in Plesk DNS is automatically set up.

I understand about running multiple machines and even on different nets which I do but had problems with plesk DNS so finally gave up on it and went with external DNS servers.

For example, if plesk could update my other servers when we create a new domain, that would be cool but since it would only be used as a secondary, I don't think it can be done.

Mike

It could be done using Plesk's Event Manager maybe (run a script that updates the primary upon the creation of a new domain). It is probably easier if you use Plesk as the primary and a remote secondary. I like using PowerDNS for that, using its supermaster feature so newly added domains on the primary are automatically picked up on the secondary nameserver.

Back