• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Secure Plesk with an SSL/TLS certificate

LordLiverpool

Basic Pleskian
Hello Plesk,

When I goto to my server I'm greeted by the Chrome certificate error screen.
01 Plesk Certificate [marked].png

Upon logging in Security Advisor tells me to secure my server with an SSL certificate.
02 Plesk Certificate [marked].png

But when I try to install the LetsEncrypt certificate on my AWS Lightsail Server.
03 Plesk Certificate [marked].png

I get an error message to say my domain is probably blacklisted.
04 Plesk Certificate [marked].png

Is there a workaround for this? Should I contact LetsEncrypt or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance.

@IgorG Thanks for replying. :)
  1. I followed your link to Cannot issue Let's Encrypt certificate in Plesk: Error creating new authz :: Policy forbids issuing for name
  2. Which lead me to  How to secure a Plesk hostname on port 8443 with an SSL certificate (Let's Encrypt / other certificate authorities)
  3. Step 5 said Note: The hostname/domain name must be resolved to a public IP address of the Plesk server from the Internet.
  4. When I looked up my servers name on MxToolBox it resolved to a different IP address.
  5. I tried installing the certificate anyway, but no surprises it was refused.
Is there a workaround to this?

The attached images tell a better story.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Plesk 01 [marked].png
    Plesk 01 [marked].png
    24.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Plesk 02 [marked].png
    Plesk 02 [marked].png
    71.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Plesk 03 [marked].png
    Plesk 03 [marked].png
    77.7 KB · Views: 5
As you can see there are different IPs. Is IPs 34.256.xxx and 18.203.xxx belongs to the same server? Why there are different IPs?

I don't know why?!? Sorry.

I understand that my Plesk Server needs a static IP address to resolve the DNS for the websites hosted on it.
I had to explicitly ask for a static IP address and I'm billed monthly by AWS for the privilege.

I was expecting its name ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com to resolve to IPs 34.256.xxx ?!?
What am I misunderstanding here?

(see image attached)

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Plesk AWS Lightsail with Static IP [marked].png
    Plesk AWS Lightsail with Static IP [marked].png
    75.5 KB · Views: 4
I opened a thread and found a solution.

Thread Here:

Solution Here:

Specifically this comment helped me understand what to do:

After assigning a Let’s Encrypt certificate to a subdomain just go to Tools & Settings > SSL/TLS Certificates

Find the option Certificate for securing Plesk and click on [Change] button right to it.

Choose the certificate assigned to subdomain and click OK .

04 Comment.png

Maybe Step4 of the instructions could be updated as it wasn't clear (to me) as to what to do.

OK so the answer was to use a Let's Encrypt certificate I had successfully issued to one of the domains hosted on my server.
And then use that certificate to secure my server (and the mail)

01 Assigned [marked].png

I used a domain that I owned rather than a client's domain.

02 Secured [marked].png

So now I no longer access the server insecurely via its IP address i.e. http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443
but instead securely like so: https://example.com:8443

05 Secure Login [marked].png

See images attached.

Thanks very much.

Back