• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Selinux, almalinux 9.3 and plesk

ivanes82

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 9.3
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.56 update 4
I am getting the following messages in Almalinux 9.3. This is a new installation:

SELinux is preventing write access to /usr/bin/perl in the root directory.
If you believe that perl should be allowed write access on the root directory by default.
You should report this as a bug. You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
Allow this access for now by running:
ausearch -c 'sa-update' --raw | audit2allow -M my-saupdate
semodule -X 300 -i my-saupdate.pp

SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/bash from having read access to the passwd file.
If you think bash should be allowed read access to the passwd file by default.
You should report this as a bug. You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
ausearch -c 'sh' --raw | audit2allow -M my-sh
semodule -X 300 -i my-sh.pp

SELinux is preventing ausearch access to /usr/bin/bash in the sss directory.
If you think bash should be allowed search access to the sss directory by default.
ausearch -c 'sh' --raw | audit2allow -M my-sh
semodule -X 300 -i my-sh.pp

Is this behavior OK, should I worry, should I fix it, is something installed wrong? These errors recur daily, at between 3:00 am and 4:00 am.

Thank you very much for your attention

Is there no help that can be done? On a clean install of almalinux 9.3 and plesk there are selinux error messages, in fact php and mariadb do not work correctly unless custom policies are applied. php 8.2 installed from the plesk installer results in selinux warning messages. Roundcube does not work because it does not have access to mariadb due to selinux policies. I don't know if this behavior is expected or there is something not configured right.
@Peter Debik
Thank you very much for your attention

I've seen the post before, but as I am using Alma 9.3 myself and do not see the same issues, I assume the cause lies in the basic operating system installation. For example do you have SELinux active before you install Plesk etc? I have no hints for this. If you need detailed assistance, please contact Plesk support.

When I installed almalinux 9 I did the basic installation with cockpit, updated the system and rebooted, after that I installed mariadb 10.11 and also rebooted and then installed plesk. Is there anything else I should do or any step I didn't do right. I have really searched for information on what is the best version of almalinux to install ( minima, server), on whether selinux has to be active or not. There is no information about it or at least I have not found it. The system is freshly installed and I can still afford to reinstall everything to correct the problem, but will need to know the exact steps to do it. Thank you very much.

In case someone has the same problem. Plesk and cockpit are incompatible. To install plesk and not have problems, it is necessary to install Plesk over the minimum installation of Almalinux 9.

I have reinstalled the server since I have not deployed it yet, installing almalinux 9 and plesk, and I have restored a plesk backup. And in the system log I constantly get the following message:

SELinux is preventing /opt/plesk/php/8.1/sbin/php-fpm from read access on the file shadow. ***** Plugin catchall (100. confidence) suggests ************************** If you believe that php-fpm should be allowed read access on the shadow file by default. Then you should report this as a bug. You can generate a local policy module to allow this access. Do allow this access for now by executing: # ausearch -c 'php-fpm' --raw | audit2allow -M my-phpfpm # semodule -X 300 -i my-phpfpm.pp

Also every night at 3:30am until 4:00am a lot of selinux alerts start appearing. I guess they are scheduled plesk tasks, which run at that time.

Are you sure that Plesk with almalinux 9 has the correct selinux configuration. In a clean install there are constant selinux alerts.
@Peter Debik

Hi, wondering if there is new info about plesk and almalinux 9.3. Got a new server and the server provider is telling me that plesk does not support almalinux 9.3. I run a few wordpress websites and wanted to find out more about this before making the decision to stay in almalinux 8.9 or try to push it for an updgrade. Than kyou

Plesk supports Alma 9.3. There are a few limitations, which are caused by limited support of some software by the operating system itself: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12376955168919-Does-Plesk-support-RHEL9-AlmaLinux-9
Thank you @Peter Debik for your response. For what I can see I could run my Wordpress sites without any issues. Does anyone have experience or recommendations for best Wordpress setups with almalinux9.3 and plesk? Much appreciated.

Back