• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue SELinux blocks access to SSH and Plesk Apache & nginx Settings

JohnnyU

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I enabled SELinux and set it to enforcing but after the restart it blocked my ssh access as root and even blocks my access to the Apache * nginx settings in Plesk.
Is this 'normal'?

If I recall correctly, by default, SELinux will block root access via SSH (and for good reasons since you technically should not be using root over SSH, you should be using a normal user account and sudo into doing whatever.

As for Apache and Nginx settings, you'll need to look through the logs to see what's happening. You could look in /var/log/messages and a few other logs to see what's happening. It could be related to this article: SELinux is preventing php-fpm from using the block_suspend capability - Support Cases from Plesk Knowledge Base

Thank you for answering this, so if I understand correctly I need to add another user to linux then enable SELinux.
Is it possible to create this user from Plesk or you have to do it directly on linux using the original root user?

And is it explained anywhere in Plesk documentation what other things SELinux would block, interfere with if activated?

And is it explained anywhere in Plesk documentation what other things SELinux would block, interfere with if activated?
SELinux is not a part of Plesk, so Plesk is not the right contact where to search for an SELinux documentation. Instead, please turn to the SELinux man pages or many articles that can be found on Google on it to check what it does and how it can be configured.

For the newer OSes, Plesk and SELinux works without any noticeable issues.

Have you tried to run this command?
# ./usr/local/psa/etc/selinux_policy_upgrade_trigger

Did you see any SELinux-related warnings in the system log?
# grep -i selinux /var/log/messages

Back