• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Send plain passwords to customers

webhod

New Pleskian
Hi all,

I searched in Google but could not find an answer matching to my question.
I have the following problem:

When creating a customer Plesk sends a notification of the new account creation to the customer. The text could be edited in the Settings -> Notifications tab.
To notify the customer about his password the variable <password> is given. When Plesk sends this eMail to the customer the password field only says <encrypted> in the email. It would be helpful if the customer can see his assigned password :)

How can I send the plain password to the customer? Is there a variable for the plain password (e.g. <plain_password>)?
If not: how could the customer automatically be informed about his passwort?

Many thanks and regards from Germany!
Chris

Hi, try this:

Customer's password: <password>

Before i turned off all notifications i saw emails were coming and password was in plain text (at least they were coming as plain text to me as administrator).

Hi MislavO,

thanks for your reply. The variable <password> is the variable I used.
When this template is parsed by Plesk and the email is sent to the customer the <password> variable will be replace with "<encrypted>" - you see, this is more or less useless for the customer :)

Maybe you or anyone else has an idea?

Information about the environment: 11.0.9 Update #26 on Debian 6

Oh, no idea here, but i agree that encrypted password is useless.

Well, remove notification email, type some HTML email template and send your clients fancy email with password in plain text (together with the rest of credentials), they will be happy :) :)

Have you enabled Enhanced Security Mode?

Maybe sending plain text passwords is no longer possible with this mode enabled?

Hi,

okay I found it, but this mode could not be disabled. When I click on the ? I get the information: "Please not that the enhanced security mode could not be disabled"...
I think turning off this mode is the solution for my problem.

So, has anybody any suggestions :)?

You would have chosen to enable enhanced security mode when installing/upgrading to plesk 11. I don't know of a way of disabling this and it would probably be very difficult. As far as I remember, enabling this mode encrypts a number of security credentials so that if your server is ever compromised, nothing is stored in plain text on the server.

okay, so far... Many thanks for your assistance. I will think about another way to send the password to the customer. The procedure of disabeling the ESM seems very difficult and "never change a running system..."

Again many thanks for your support!
Have a nice weekend and regards from Germany.

Chris

Back