• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Sending Mail To External Mailserver

F

futec

Hi there,

Situation:

Our hosting server 10.0.0.1
Our Ns1 and Ns2 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3
Mailserver 192.168.0.1

Domain: test.com

DNS Settings:

mail.test.com. A 192.168.0.1
pop3.test.com. A 192.168.0.1
smtp.test.com. A 192.168.0.1
test.com. A 10.0.0.1
webmail.test.com. A 10.0.0.1
ftp.test.com. CNAME test.com.
www.test.com CNAME test.com.
test.com. MX (10) mail.test.com.
test.com. NS ns1.test.com.
test.com. NS ns2.test.com.
10.0.0.1 / 24 PTR test.com.

User A send an e-mail from the domain test.com to [email protected] using a PHP script.

Normally the server should look at the MX10 record and forward the e-mail to 192.168.0.1

The server picks up the e-mail and thinks to itself: The domain test.com is a local domain so I am not forwarding anything and keeps the e-mail local, so [email protected] doesn't receive his e-mail!

I always hosted on Linux working all fine, but it seems like Windows doesn't care about DNS?!

Anyone has a solution?

a late answer!

I have just come accross this problem myself and after some searching made it work..

To use an external mail server, set the MX records to point to your external mail server.

i.e:
mydomain.com MX (0) mail1.mymailserver.com
mydomain.com MX (10) mail2.mymailserver.com

this should work for all mail from sources other than your web server.

To make sure all mail on your webserver goes to the right place open mailenable and go to:

Messaging Manager\Post offices\mydomain.com\Domains and right click on the domain name. Activate "Act as smart host" and add the external mail server details into the box at the bottom.

for more details on Smart Host view: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Article.asp?ID=me020010

Back