• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Server crashes

T

thedust2010

Almost every other day our web server (with Plesk 7.5) freezes up and I need to reboot the server to get things up and running again. All websites and email stop being served and I can't log in via SSH. Does this type of freeze up usually occur because of a hardware issue or is it something Plesk-related? I can't find anything in the server's error logs to tell me why these crashes occur... this is very annoying, especially when it happens over the weekends, when we are offsite.

Any thoughts?

This is still happening almost twice daily. We can't continue to offer hosting services if we can't keep the damn server up and running. I check the error logs and see nothing that helps indicate why the system freezes up. Any thoughts? More RAM? Too much bandwidth?

I've had very weird, random problems also. Everything from apache hanging to complete network connectivity going down. Tried everything I could think of to make system stable including replacing the hardware. Finally I replaced the Ethernet switch it is connected to and my problems seem to have disappeared! Been up almost 5 days and rock solid. Another few days and I’ll call it fixed. :)

BTW, more info on your system would help with troubleshooting...

In all likelihood, your problem is hardware related. I just went through this about 2 months ago. Server started crashing several times a week. Logs gave no clues about what might be going on, other then at the time of the crashes, the box was being pushed a little. Problem worsened. In the end, it was crashing several times a day. Test showed some memory problems - replaced all the memory. Improved a little. Replaced hard drive cables. Improved a little. Techs noticed box was running hot. Put in an additional fan. Got a little better; then got a lot worse. Finally, techs replaced the whole motherboard. Been up and running for 75 days without a single problem.

Good luck tracking down you problem.

John

Back