• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Server disconnect itself randomly `named[1566]: no longer listening on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx` for over a month.

Anthonykung

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.51
Hello,

I have been having an issue with the server that is going down every two days. Done some digging and found that every time it happens the server simply stops listening at the IP address, here is the line from syslog:

Code:
Apr 24 21:26:43 xxx named[1566]: no longer listening on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53

The service provider said that there doesn't seem to be any hardware issues, and before this, we were having issues where Plesk randomly stopped recognizing the IPv6 addresses that we added and we had to do a reread and web server config rebuild to get it back and running again. But this time the whole server is gone not just the website hosted, and it seems to affect our IPv4 rather than the problematic IPv6 that we were having a problem with. The entire Plesk web interface and SSH access are gone in this case and there's nothing we can do besides restarting it.

We couldn't figure out what's causing it, and we have done all the updates, it's currently running on Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS with Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.51. Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this?

This specific issue isn't something Plesk is doing since all Plesk does is acts as a user interface for adding, editing, and reading configuration files for web sites and deployments so you need to ignore that level and get to the very basics.

Considering the service profile said there doesn't seem to be any hardware issue tells me that this isn't a VPS but instead running on bare metal. If this wasn't running on bare metal I would say to redeploy and migrate the sites to a new VPS but since this is bare metal I would go back to hardware first. Could be a bad NIC, could be the ethernet cable, could be the switch port that the server is plugged into, etc. It's really hard to say but all I can say is that this isn't a Plesk thing.

Hi,

I have tried to find such message on my server and found it, it is shown right after named stops serving requests because has received a command to stop (restart?) working. I would recommend to check another logs records for the service (before "no longer listening"), as an example with "Tools & Settings / Log Browser" / and searching "named" service,

1682489938624.png1682489975678.png

I have the same issue, seems.
Currently I'm not understanding why this happening.

I think when named service not listening I have a big downtime: server and domains are no more reachable and I need reboot the server by the IONOS hosting panel so from the provider.

I'm trying since yesterday, to investigate this with the Plesk ticket system team but my experience is not good with replies I'm getting because I'm not finding nothing that I don't know already.

Still looking to understand why I had bad downtime and this named stop to listening logs on Ubuntu

@Anthonykung please keep me posted if you find something.

Seems Ubuntu need a particular manual network configuration to avoid the dynamic IP even if the server has just one static IP.
More info can be found at my post here.

Back