• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Server Hostname and SSL Let's Encrypt mail issues connecting

Awakening Earth

New Pleskian
Hi all
This is my first post, I just wanted to ask about the HostName.
My hosting is with OVH and It has automaticly set something like vps121353.ovh.net as my hostname, my issue is I cannot secure this hostname with Let's Encrypt because it says

"
The "Certificates per Registered Domain" rate limit has been exceeded for vps1111111.ovh.net. Let's Encrypt allows no more than 50 certificates to be issued per registered domain, per week."

I can secure all other domains fine on the server, should I be buying a domain name for my server and change its hostname to this domain name or use a pre existing domain as my main hostname ? this way I can secure the main server!?

I also have a host of issues with connecting via mail to my server, some domains work but all of them say along the lines of invalid cirtificate etc and I have to bypass yet Let's Encrypt has already secured those mail accounts.
All of my mail accounts connect via webmail but only 2 out of 8 connect via windows mail, android etc using SMTP and SSL. some do not work at all or well on any settings.

Other than that, I have HTTPS working fine on all my websites.

Any help really apreciated.

It's the host name set by my VPS service provider OVH. I did not set the domain they did but I could change it to one of my own domains.

It will be necessary to change the host name to a different domain name. However, I recommend to only use a domain name as a host name that you do not need otherwise. For example if you have a domain that you wish to run a website on, it is better to set the host name to a subdomain of that domain so that you stay free to run a website on the main domain.

Thanks a lot so I could take my website awakening.earth and make the server address server.awakening.earth ? and the main website will still work ?

I currently don't have any unused domains so otherwise will buy one dedicated for the server.

DO you think the server will have a meltdown me changing its hostname, do I have to edit any files or just make the change in plesk and hope all goes ok ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Well im here on Christmas day driving myself insane, Im persistent! and like to get things to work :)

Ive managed to change my main server address to server.awakening.earth instead of the OVH Hosting Default, and I can connect to Plesk all good with HTTPS circificate all working.
I have managed to get mail to work on that main server also [email protected] works fine within thunderbird and does not mention any issues with cirtificates.
I do however have to change in thunderbird the details as follows
IMAP imap.server.awakening.earth to server.awakening.earth
SMTP smtp.server.awakening.earth to server.awakening.earth
If I dont do that I get the error "wrong site this cirtificate belongs to another site" and more details shows the cirtificate name is "common name" server.awakening.earth

I would love to get this working with my other email addresses but whenever I try to connect to any other email address Im getting "Wrong Site" or "cirtificate belongs to wrong site" its really confusing as to whats going on here and Iv'e never been able to get it to work!

Basicly any email address I try to connect to from say "thunderbird" it tells me that the cirtificate is for server.awakening.earth which is the main server address, it always tells me thats the domain the cirtificate is for even though the email adress I use is [email protected] or [email protected]
I have created Let's Encrypt cirtificates for both those domains also successfully but when i try to use those mail addresses im still told its the wrong cirtificate that belongs to another site and more details shows Common name "server.awakening.earth"

Any thoughts or help apreciated, cheers :)

I tried to be as detailed as I could here in the hope someone can help, cheers

I feel im getting close to the problem here !

Back