• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Server Time advances when I reboot

Pagemakers

Silver Pleskian
I am in the UK - currently GMT +1.

If I set the correct date and time on the server time page in the CP and set time zone to GMT+1 Europe/London and then reboot the server the time changes to an hour more.

I've tried everything. What am I doing wrong?

Your best bet is to go to a shell prompt and set it there:

First get the correct timezone set for local time:
ln -sf ../usr/share/zoneinfo/your/zone /etc/localtime

set date & time in linux
date mmddhhmm

set your hardware clock
/sbin/hwclock --systohc

This should do it. You need to check if you need UTC time or not. Just go and google "linux date", its the first site in the results.

In an ssh session if I type date I get: Wed Mar 29 17:18:24 BST 2006

If I type hwclosk I get Wed 29 Mar 2006 17:18:48 BST

So that is correct.

However if I reboot the hour goes to 18:

It's both of our servers.

Everything was fine and last weekend the UK changed from GMT to GMT+1, then all the problems started....

Can somebody try this as it is doing the same on all our servers and Plesk says it is not a bug.

On the server System/System Date and Time page set:

Time Zone: Europe/London
Set the time (here in the UK we are GMT +1 at the moment)
Check Synchronize system time and add: ntp2.mcc.ac.uk

Now reboot your server. When it comes back up the time on our server has advances by one hour.

Hi Pagemakers,

Executed your instructions our development box in house. The only difference in our config is that we are PSA 7.5.4/FC3 where I notice your signature said Plesk 8.

We did not experience the same problem. Did you folks in the UK recently change any sort of daylight savings time?

The only think I can think of is that possibly the bios on the server itself is out of date and does not recognize the time change. Is it by chance set to UTC?

/sbin/hwclock

Should show you the hardware clock.

By changing time I meant dropping a switch between daylight savings time and standard time after a number of years of having it. Some parts of AU recently did away with the concept and went to standard time year round. There was some talk of doing away with it in the US as well. My thoughts on that are that it would cause at least as much work as Y2K though.

As far as patches for time related parts of the OS that is really outside of the realm of Plesk. Most of the time/date patches for that would have been OS updates, I take it you are updating the OS with up2date or yum?

Should the HW clock be set to GMT?

In Plesk our time is set at UK local. Zone is set to GMT + 1 and this is also when the HW clock is currently set to. I wonder if that is why the time advances one hour on re-boot?

If that is the setting that produces the time setting you like, mho would be go for it. However, keep in mind that this could get "fixed" by some patch in the future and then your time would be messed up. Best to keep this on a list of things to keep an eye on.

Back