Issue Server unresponsive during Daily Maintenance job

Discussion in 'Plesk 12.x for Linux' started by OlgaKM, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:43 PM.

  1. OlgaKM

    OlgaKM Basic Pleskian

    9
    20%
    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    NY
    Hi,

    I was having issues with this earlier, but the problem is persisting (and getting worse!). The server becomes completely unresponsive while the Daily Maintenance script is performed. Just now as I was running it manually (to monitor what is going on), the server has been unresponsive for an hour (!). This is completely unacceptable for a production server, which this server is.

    I have tried a couple of things, such as increasing the niceness of the script (default is 10) and limiting iops using cgroups, but none of this has helped.

    I'm not sure where I would even begin to investigate this. Any suggestions?
     
  2. IgorG

    IgorG Forums Analyst Plesk Team

    43
    84%
    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    22,949
    Likes Received:
    755
    Location:
    Novosibirsk, Russia
  3. OlgaKM

    OlgaKM Basic Pleskian

    9
    20%
    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    NY
    So for clarification, I should run each task 1 by 1 and see which one creates issues?
     
  4. IgorG

    IgorG Forums Analyst Plesk Team

    43
    84%
    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    22,949
    Likes Received:
    755
    Location:
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Yes.
     
  5. OlgaKM

    OlgaKM Basic Pleskian

    9
    20%
    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    NY
    Alright, I will attempt to do so. Probably tomorrow, as it is late here. Are the tasks listed on the above page listed in the normal order that they are run? The reason I'm asking is that I know the slow down starts before updates are installed. However, it looks like InstallUpdates is the 2nd task? Does this mean that the slowdown happens as part of CheckForUpdates?
     
  6. IgorG

    IgorG Forums Analyst Plesk Team

    43
    84%
    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    22,949
    Likes Received:
    755
    Location:
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    As far as I know, order is not important.
     
  7. OlgaKM

    OlgaKM Basic Pleskian

    9
    20%
    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    NY
    I have traced the issue. It looks like the cause is spamtrain (possibly there are multiple causes, I haven't finished testing all the tasks individually). I don't even use any anti-spam system on the server! How do I disable spamtrain? I came across the following article, but though it mentions spamtrain in the heading, it only talks about sa-learn and sa-update (which don't seem to be running on my server currently):

    High CPU usage for "sa-learn" and "spamtrain" processes
     
  8. IgorG

    IgorG Forums Analyst Plesk Team

    43
    84%
    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    22,949
    Likes Received:
    755
    Location:
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Do you have /usr/bin/sa-learn file on your Plesk server?
    If yes, just remove Spamassassin with

    # rpm -e spamassassin psa-spamassassin
     
  9. OlgaKM

    OlgaKM Basic Pleskian

    9
    20%
    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    NY
    I uninstalled spamassassin, and this has greatly improved the issue, though not fully resolved it. It is notable that I only get the issue when the Daily Maintenance script is run as a whole. Running the individual tasks one-by-one causes no issue.

    I have created a bash script that runs each tasks one at a time with a 30 second wait between each task. We will see if this helps.
     
  10. OlgaKM

    OlgaKM Basic Pleskian

    9
    20%
    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    NY
Loading...