• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Service Unavailable errors

J

jameszarr

Hi Guys

I have a windows 2003 standard edition with plesk 7.5 installed, I always had problems with the web sites at random (no particular web site) all of a sudden showing "Service Unavaliable" finally after lots of reading and research I found out that this is due to Application pool for that site being down

This is the error I get in the error log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 7/18/2005
Time: 12:37:54 AM
User: N/A
Computer: PLESK1
Description:
Application pool 'lyroschen.com(pool)' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

So since I did not find any solution to this after months of research, I turned to EV1 support for help, they told me to turn off the Rapid-Fail protection in the application pool area, which I did. And indeed that fixed that problem, however, now I have a new issue, again at random time now the PHP pages stop responding and giving me and the clients this error:

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

Now the strange thing is that this error appears on all the sites on the server, so no one can run the PHP pages, as if the whole php engine was down, But Plesk control panel runs just fine, and it uses the same php parser but it uses a different webserver.

This will keep going for about 15-20 minutes and then it clears up by itself, there are no error logs for this. I have applied all hot fixes from microsoft even one for the multiprocessor errors of getting "Service Unavailable"

Did anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this issue.

Here's a snippet that might be helpful in your situation:

A surprisingly little-known fact - every desktop object on the system has a desktop heap associated with it. The desktop object uses the heap to store menus, hooks, strings, and windows. The system allocates desktop heap from a system-wide 48MB buffer (fixed size). Even less known fact is that any process making usage of user objects, even if it runs in the background and does not have a GUI interface, will create a desktop object and thus use desktop heap.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;184802 for more info on desktop heap usage.

For our purpose, this means that in default IIS6 configuration you can not run more than about 60 Worker Processes, effectively limiting number of sites supported by Plesk 7 to about 300, whatever is the amount of the physical memory. When the desktop heap is exhausted, you might see errors or warnings in Event Log, related to application pools and referencing error code 0x80 or 128.

To fix this situation, IIS6 has a special setting, allowing all Workers to share a single desktop and have thousands of application pools defined (limited only by memory). The tradeoff is in security – within a single desktop, user applications theoretically can send Windows messages to other applications.

Here’s how to configure IIS6 to use a single shared desktop for all Worker Processes:
1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and then click "OK".
2. Locate the following registry key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC
3. Right-click "Parameters", point to "New", and then click "DWORD Value".
4. Type "UseSharedWPDesktop" (without the quotation marks).
5. Set the value for this new key to 1.
6. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart IIS.

See http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/IIS/6/all/techref/en-us/iisRG_SCA_34.mspx for more info.

I have almost the same problem as jameszarr with 3 websites.

we just installed php5 on our server and after a while when we typed the address into the browser the websites keept loading and loadin and never stoped (although nothing was shown other than a blank page).

The solution we found for this was to create an application pool for each website and this worked except for 3 websites that always got the application pool stoped thus getting the Service Unavailable message.

We are still trying to figure out what to do.

why would these websites have problems? one of them is almost intirelly made in html, it only has 3 php forms to send an e-mail.

make sure u add the iusr's of those domiains to the IIS_WPG group....if it still does nt work , switch the application pool user to network service ....this should work

thank you for the answer but that didn't do the trick, it still doesn't work :/

any more ideas?

change the application pool to networ service .....it should work

If you are using plesk 7.0.3......upgade it to 7.5.4 ..the issue is fixed in the new version

also you can repair it with reinstall plesk...

dont uninstall only reinstall on it...

Back