• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Setting up a "catchall" address

C

Comptalk

Hello -

How do you setup a catchall address for one of the domains within the PLESK admin?

Thanks!

Hello -

I read that thread, but still doesn't help. I went to mail prefs, and the options are either to bounce, reject, or forward. Is there another place that I need to check so that all mail is set to a catchall address?

Thanks.

1. Login to Plesk CP
2. Click on Domains
3. Click on the domain you want
4. Click on Mail
5. Create your catchall account (whatever name you want), password, etc. Save.
6. Click on 'Up Level' (brings you back to Mail names for domain.
7. Click on 'Preferences'
8. Click on radio button next to 'Forward to address', fill in the catchall name you just created (ex. [email protected])
9. Click on 'Ok'
10. You should now be done. The section in step 8, says 'Mail to nonexistent user', so once you set it to forward to the catchall mail name, all incoming mail for 'unknown' addresses for that domain will be dumped into the catchall.

I hope this is detailed enough, and solves your problem.

I have other problems...

I have 300 users on my domain, 100 users is mobile, i want this user have mailbox on my plesk server, and other 200 users is on my office.
Can i catch fo nonexistent user to IP address ?
If yes.. how to setup, i think it can be done by edit the /var/qmail/mailname/mydomain/.qmail-defaults

So i will make other mail server for other 200 users in my office, and i think this will reduce our bandwidth

Thanks

Schatje

Catch ALL "means" catch **** too, bad idea!

Mr. Comptalk

An email catch all means that any email address not already defined will be caught and dumped into the email address defined to receive the catch-ed all email. This includes imaginary friends and family names of people you dont know, even with unusual spellings like frannk, suszin, bobby32 and any number of mixed irregularities. I bring this up because I have been bombed a few times on my domains where the person doing the bombing simply randomized the names with letters and numbers and sent me thousands of emails in the course of a few hours. After deciding they got through, they bombed me again. Since they randomized the addresses, it was impossible to block each name. The solution to the problem was to create aliases for the catch all email address by creating the email address to be used and then inside clicking add alias and entering the names I believed would receive email and would have come to that trapped address. By doing this, in this fashion instead, two things occurred. One, the addresses that I wanted to catch and only the addresses I wanted to catch get caught and Two, any addresses NOT defined are automatically kicked out unprocessed by Plesk (version 7.x) and reduces the over all waste load on the server caused by spam (and idiot bombers).

Spam is also a worry with using a trap all address. Spammers will randomize email addresses (as in combine common names with known domain names) to hit users that may not have posted somewhere subjecting themselves to this kind of abuse.

So my advice here is, do not use a trap all, there are other solutions such as aliases that will work much more safely.

HMIBarryLSalter

Back