• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

setting up plesk for the first time

S

starving_artist

first, i have read alot of other thread on the forum but i just can't figure out how to set up my domain on my server. im trying to set up my main domain name (dns, name servers etc) and am having problems. I'm not sure exactly what I need to do.

I just bought a virtual server with ipower and plesk is included.

i have always had other companys host my site i have never used a dedicated server before.

mydomain.com is registered with register.com and I changed the dns to:
ns1.mydomain.com
ns2.mydomain.com

at register.com, I registered my new domain host. ns1.mydomain.com = my ip address
ns2.mydomain.com = my ip address

these are the dns records in plesk for mydomain.com

scottthornton.com. NS ns1.scottthornton.com.
scottthornton.com. NS ns2.scottthornton.com.
scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
webmail.scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
mail.scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
ns1.scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
ns2.scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
ftp.scottthornton.com. CNAME scottthornton.com.
www.scottthornton.com. CNAME scottthornton.com.
scottthornton.com. MX (10) mail.scottthornton.com.
72.22.80.72 / 24 PTR scottthornton.com.

it's been over 24 hours since i changed everything on register.com and still nothing is working. what am i doing wrong, any help would be appreciated...i have a bunch of clients breathing downy my neck.

thanks

; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>> @72.22.80.72 ns1.scottthornton.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Check your firewall, doesn't look like it's allowing incoming DNS.

it say that my firewall is not activated yet. I never set it up, so i don't think that can be it...

any other ideas? i'm stuck

What happens when you run dig on the box and on a foreign box. It fails for me, thus nobody can resolve.

dig @72.22.80.72 ns1.scottthornton.com

This fails.

i don't even know what that means

any help

i made some changes my nameserver info on my server in plesk and now my dsn report is telling me this

ERROR: Timed out getting NS data from parent server. Probably not an issue on your end

any ideas?

make a connection to your plesk server either via SSH or physical connection.

Then at at prompt type"

dig @72.22.80.72 ns1.scottthornton.com

It should came back with the ip address

If it doens't then check out plesk is DNS enabled etc.

It probably will work.

If it does then try the same command on another linux that's on a different network.

The fact that I can contact your server on port 22 via SSL and port 80 via HTTP and port 8443 via HTTPS suggests your network setup is fine. The problem looks to be with the delegation of your external domain.

I did a reverse DNS lookup on your domain and amongst other things got this:

"WARNING: Duplicate zone found (80.22.72.in-addr.arpa. is repeated). This can prevent the lookup from continuing
(BIND8 and BIND9 will cause a 'server failure' response). Although I will continue, be aware that
most DNS servers will not see your reverse DNS entry."

The fact that you have delegated your nameserver addresses to the same IP address will be causing this.

You should delegate your nameserver domain to two different IP addresses. If you don't have two IP addresses at your disposal, you need to either get someone else to run secondary DNS for you or manage your DNS via an external DNS provider.

Back