• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Setting Up Separate Mail Accounts for a Domain Alias?

smirking

New Pleskian
I've got a situation in which I need to have a set of mail accounts that share a domain name with a domain that's already in use as a domain alias and because the domain is already in use, I'm unable to create a new account using that domain. I tried explicitly adding "www" to the domain alias so I could keep the www.domain.com address as an alias and reserve the "domain.com" name for use as a separate account, but Plesk won't allow for that.

Has anyone encountered this situation before? Anyone have any ideas how to address this? The idea I'm currently considering is to delete the domain alias and then create the new account and manually set the DOCUMENT ROOT of the new account to refer to the other domain's document root. I'm sure this could create some headaches in Plesk so I'm looking for input before trying it. I'm actually not even sure exactly where I would be able to redefine the document root with Plesk allowing the change and not overwriting it later.

If all else fails, I can setup a new account on a different and unrelated Plesk server, but I'd prefer not to do that.

Hi smirking,

thanks for your request. You can add the domain alias as a seperate domain so you can use all mail services at it as well.

Hi smirking,

thanks for your request. You can add the domain alias as a seperate domain so you can use all mail services at it as well.

Yes I know that, but if I add it as a separate domain I have to first delete my alias, which I don't want to do because I want the Web part aliased to a parent domain and the mail part handled by its own domain. I was able to address this by overriding the webroot in the "Webserver Settings" for the mail domain.

Those of you who want to do the same, this will work:

Code:
DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/parent-domain.com/httpdocs
ServerName alias-domain.com
ServerAlias www.alias-domain.com
<Directory "/var/www/vhosts/parent-domain.com/httpdocs">
<IfModule sapi_apache2.c>
    php_admin_flag engine on
</IfModule>
<IfModule mod_php5.c>
    php_admin_flag engine on
</IfModule>