• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Setup NS1 & NS2 - Single IP

A

ashleym

I'm quite new to this, but I was wondering if I can setup the following naming servers on a single IP.

ns1.domain.com
ns2.domain.com

I've heard it's possible, and read through the docs - but, I'm not quite sure how to do it.

Thanks!

Yes you can, all you need to do is add the two A/NS records for the two nameserver addresses. Once that is done you need to register your two nameservers with whomever is your domain register.

I did that before posting the thread, but Godaddy won't allow me to change the name servers for my domain to those new addresses - it's throws an "unknown error".

Here are the DNS settings for the domain:

64.207.161.000 / 24 PTR domain.com.
ftp.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.
mail.domain.com. A 64.207.161.000
ns.domain.com. A 64.207.161.000
ns1.domain.com. NS ns1.domain.com. <----
ns2.domain.com. NS ns2.domain.com. <----
domain.com. A 64.207.161.000
domain.com. MX (10) mail.domain.com.
domain.com. NS ns.domain.com.
webmail.domain.com. A 64.207.161.000
www.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.

Also, my single IP is being shared by 8 sites and I'd like each to use the naming server that I'm trying to setup. This domain is also the default domain under Plesk.

Thanks in advance!

If I'm not mistaken, that's because GoDaddy's system is identifying the nameservers as using the same IP. It his highly discouraged around the net to use the same IP for two nameservers for a domain. This is, obviously, for stability reasons. If you need a secondary nameserver, I'm sure ZoneEdit can help with a few (5 max for free, last I saw). Or you could look into utilizing GraphiteCanyon or Afraid.Org, both of which also do DNS hosting.

Honestly, I'd recommend Afraid the most, as they do have quiet a bit of services they offer. May even end up finding something you like while you're there.

Actually GoDaddy will allow you to use nameservers with the same ip address. I have my domains hosted by GoDaddy and my nameservers are both using the same IP.

ashleym, your missing a step in the process. You first have to register your nameservers with GoDaddy.

1. Login to your GoDaddy account
2. Select manage domains
3. Select the domain in which you would like to register the nameservers under
4. Click the Domain Host Summary option on the right menu.
5. Then click the link "Click here to see details or to modify."

From here you can register your two name servers. For example:
ns1.domain.com
ns2.domain.com
(of course using your own domain and IP)

Once you have registered your name servers make sure the needed A/NS records for the domain have been created. If ns1/ns2.domain.com resolve to the proper IP address you can now use your newly registered name servers for hosting domains.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

*Not responsible for spelling errors :)

Back